Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I've been googling, without much luck, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction...

I want to be able to join two or three images together, so that they can then be considered one image. I don't mean HDR, or anything like that... just to be able to combine pic together side by side, with no gap between them. Imagine, say, a landscape shot in spring, summer, autumn and winter... then joined together into a sequence.

Anyone know of a simple software solution?? :)

djchristie

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
Falkland Islands
You really can't go wrong with Photoshop Elements, which you can pick up for £50/60 off Amazon. Not sure if you want to spend money on it though - but is good software for lots of things.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
To the OP, just about any image editor should allow you to increase the canvas size and paste in additional images.

Thanks, folks. I already have Photoshop CS2 (but only use it for a couple of very specific purposes). Most montage/collage applications seem to be about pano, and merging pix into each other. My need is much simpler: just putting pix side-by-side. I'll google the PS 'tips' sites, and see how I get on... :)

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Thanks, folks. I already have Photoshop CS2 (but only use it for a couple of very specific purposes). Most montage/collage applications seem to be about pano, and merging pix into each other. My need is much simpler: just putting pix side-by-side. I'll google the PS 'tips' sites, and see how I get on... :)

If it's CS2, then Menu -> Image | Canvas Size is what you want.

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks... but how did I import a second image to display next to it (with no space in between)?

open the 2nd image by itself, copy to clipboard. then open 1st image, expand canvas paste image from clipboard and move to where you want it.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
What he said. You may want to paste it into a new layer to give yourself the opportunity to adjust things after you've pasted all your images, then merge the layers later.

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
If you have iWorks maybe this will work for you:
Open a blank Pages document and just drag .jpgs onto the document. You can resize the pictures and adjust their positioning. If necessary you can use Preview to rotate the pictures before pulling them into Pages so you have the correct orientation.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I want to be able to join two or three images together, so that they can then be considered one image. I don't mean HDR, or anything like that... just to be able to combine pic together side by side, with no gap between them. Imagine, say, a landscape shot in spring, summer, autumn and winter... then joined together into a sequence.

Any image editor, Photoshop, Gimp or whatever, will do this.

Put you can also you any kind of page layout software. I think even "Text edit" will allow you to put photos in. Most work processors will do this as will Keynote or power point.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Any image editor, Photoshop, Gimp or whatever, will do this.

Put you can also you any kind of page layout software. I think even "Text edit" will allow you to put photos in. Most work processors will do this as will Keynote or power point.

But then I want to 'consolidate' a pair (or trio) of pix into a single file, so I can, say, submit it to a picture library...

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Whenever I do panoramas (which is rare), I use Canon's bundled software, PhotoStitch. It's not very complex at all, and why not give it a shot?

Just choose your OS and either scroll down or Ctrl+F for PhotoStitch. They do have an OS X version. Not sure how it'll work, but it can't hurt to try.

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
I've been googling, without much luck, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction...

Anyone know of a simple software solution?? :)

a little app known as photoshop should do the trick :D

zzjill

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Have you tried Picasa 3?

I have the same problem as a new mac user and not professional. I was really surprised that I couldn't find anything for just putting the images together for mac. i photo for me is just a nightmare. It does not really have many functions and just a few “effect” which you can choose. Thanks to Google that I found Picasa 3 which is great, easy and free!

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
In photoshop, create a new image of the canvas size you want the end picture to be.

Open up your four images you want to move into it.

Use the "move" tool to pick up the image and drag it onto the new image and place for effect...

To prepare, resize your four "season" photos so that their height and width are exactly half of what you want your end photo to be (so that they take up exactly a quarter of the image). Then when you drag your photos into the larger image, just make sure they align to the corners.

Theoretically, you won't have any white space.

If you want the images blended together, put them onto their own layers and use masks to adjust the opacity. For this, your "season photos" need to be made larger so that they overlap.

This is how I made up this photo (not brilliantly done, but you get the idea)
http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/Toby.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.