Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Hello,

I wasn't able to find a solution online, but I am borrowing a 5D and shot some images in RAW but I don't know where to find software to process the RAW files. The Canon downloads are software updates, and as I'm borrowing the camera, I don't have the original CD with the software on it.

Any help?

Thanks!
OA

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Hello,

I wasn't able to find a solution online, but I am borrowing a 5D and shot some images in RAW but I don't know where to find software to process the RAW files. The Canon downloads are software updates, and as I'm borrowing the camera, I don't have the original CD with the software on it.

Any help?

Thanks!
OA

Do you use Adobe Camera Raw to process files? Or more importantly, do you have Photoshop? If so, download this:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

This is a DNG converter from Adobe, which converts RAW into DNG files, so that Adobe's Camera Raw will be able to open the files.

If you had Adobe CS4, you wouldn't have to convert it from RAW to DNG, since the version of camera raw that comes with it supports the 5D Mark II.

If you don't have Photoshop, then your next option is updating Mac OS X with iPhoto. Other than that, Canon's DPP software is able to convert the files.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I initially ran into the same problem when looking for a new version of Canon Digital Photo Professional. All I was getting were manuals, until I entered in my OS in the downloads tab. Once you do that, the full downloads should come up. DPP 3.5.2's up for download and according to a quick Google search, the 5D Mark II is supported in that version.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Another vote for downloading Canon's DPP. It will give you the best RAW conversion results.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'd just grab your favorite 30 day trial and install that while you use the camera. Adobe has trialware versions of Photoshop and Lightroom, and Apple has one for Aperture. Any of those products will be able to process a raw file coming from any DSLR.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello,

I wasn't able to find a solution online, but I am borrowing a 5D and shot some images in RAW but I don't know where to find software to process the RAW files.

Mac OS X itself has 5D raw processing built-in. You should be able to open the raw file in any even Preview then simply save it as a JPG. Preview allows minor adjustmments to be made before you save. Also if you have iPhoto that will work a even better. On Macs the abilty to handle RAW formats is a feature of the OS. However the OS provides no user interface. That is provided by the various applications. Preview provides exposes only the most basic adjustments, iPhoto more and Aperture exposes more. If you only have a few images get the free 90 day trail version of Aperture if you can't get the result you want with the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.