Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
I've sold my iPhone from the iPhone upgrade program, I've cancelled AppleCare, can the new owner purchase AppleCare again for the device before the 12 months is up?

Edit - plan was to cancel AppleCare when they receive the device.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
You cannot buy Applecare on any used device, so no.

But it's unclear what you did here exactly. With IUP you were paying for Applecare too in the monthly price, so if you paid off the phone you also paid off Applecare for 2 years.

You could have transferred Applecare to the new owner if so. If you paid it off and then canceled an requested a refund from Apple for the unused portion, the new owner cannot rebuy it.

Reactions: Wig321 and akash.nu

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
No it can’t be added. Only can be added within the first 30 days of original purchase.

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
You cannot buy Applecare on any used device, so no.

But it's unclear what you did here exactly. With IUP you were paying for Applecare too in the monthly price, so if you paid off the phone you also paid off Applecare for 2 years.

You could have transferred Applecare to the new owner if so. If you paid it off and then canceled an requested a refund from Apple for the unused portion, the new owner cannot rebuy it.
Well the plan is to cancel AppleCare when they receive the device. I'll look into transferring instead then, thanks

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
Actually I am not sure you would have to transfer it. I purchased a used Macbook Air off of eBay that still had an extended apple care plan and when I took it in for an issue I had no problems with coverage.

I believe applecare is tied to the device not the owner.

Lisa

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
You have to either cancel or transfer. The new owner can’t make any claims on the device until you request transfer through Apple. It’s a very easy process.

Reactions: KrisLord

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Actually I am not sure you would have to transfer it. I purchased a used Macbook Air off of eBay that still had an extended apple care plan and when I took it in for an issue I had no problems with coverage.

I believe applecare is tied to the device not the owner.

Lisa
Correct that AppleCare is tied to the device and you can't transfer AppleCare plus from one device to the other. But you can transfer the ownership of the AppleCare plus when you sell the device.

OP- If you sold your phone and the buyer is looking to get AppleCare plus, do not cancel it. Just sell the device with it and transfer the ownership, see if the buyer can pay you more?

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
I ended up canceling AppleCare for my iPhone X. Got reimbursed more than half of the original cost. Put that towards buying AppleCare for my XS Max. People are not just paying for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.