Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelscott91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Important warning for those downgrading back to iOS 16.5/16.5.1!**

Hey all, just wanted to share this in hopes no one else runs in to this major issue. I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. On Wednesday, I decided to update my iPhone 14 Pro max to iOS 17 beta for a quick look at what’s new and to test it out. I’ve done the same practice every year since iOS 7 where I’ll back up my device prior, update to the beta, try it for a day and roll back to the public until we are deeper in the beta cycle and things get more usable. On Friday, I did the same procedure. Dfu restored back to iOS 16.5.1. All went fine, went through the normal set up screen, attempted to sign in to iCloud and knew something wasn’t right. I keep getting an unknown error retrieving my iCloud back ups. Eventually I got in to the Home Screen, and saw a new warning badge stating “Can’t access iCloud data” as shown in the screen shot. Every time I would click continue to proceed, it would just hang and not do anything. Tested on 16.5.1, and 16.6 betas as well. I am literally locked out of all my photos, iMessages, login, passwords etc. Called Apple support and they discovered that the issue is Advanced data protection. Prior to downgrading I didn’t turn it off as I never had issues prior this year backing up and restoring. Somehow there is a bug preventing me to disable it and to have access my iCloud data again. It’s been rough as I have a small business and rely heavily on iCloud files etc. We are on day 3 now and got passed on tonApple engineers to try and did this, even they are puzzled. They had me install log collecting profiles on my device today and are still trying to solve it. Hoping they have a solution soon. This is the weirdest and most difficult bug I’ve ever encountered. If anyone happens to have any suggestions please share, and the main point of this post is to prevent anyone else from getting in to this cluster.

If you need to downgrade, please make sure you have advanced data protection toggled off!!

Attachments

• IMG_0028.png
    IMG_0028.png
    293.4 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0007.png
    IMG_0007.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: Miicat_47

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If you need to downgrade, please make sure you have advanced data protection toggled off!!

From my limited understanding of Advanced Data Protection, seems like this is the way to do it when dealing with a new device: turn off ADP, setup new device, re-enable ADP.

And in this case, what OP did was basically introduce a new device into the mix... I think. Again, from limited understanding, it seems like the encryption keys are on device, so when you went into DFU mode, the encryption keys were toasted from the Secure Enclave and are not backed up.

No recovery method setup? If not, guessing Apple will be of no help since the keys were on the device and wiped from Apple servers when ADP was activated.

WARNING: If you use Advanced Data Protection, you’re responsible for your data recovery. Because Apple won’t have the keys required to recover your data, you’ll need to have a Recovery Contact or Recovery Key set up on your account. You can use these additional recovery methods to regain access to your data if you ever forget your password or lose access to your account.

And to beat others to the pile-on: don't install betas on devices that are daily drivers, can't afford data loss.

michaelscott91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
From my limited understanding of Advanced Data Protection, seems like this is the way to do it when dealing with a new device: turn off ADP, setup new device, re-enable ADP.

And in this case, what OP did was basically introduce a new device into the mix... I think. Again, from limited understanding, it seems like the encryption keys are on device, so when you went into DFU mode, the encryption keys were toasted from the Secure Enclave and are not backed up.

No recovery method setup? If not, guessing Apple will be of no help since the keys were on the device and wiped from Apple servers when ADP was activated.

And to beat others to the pile-on: don't install betas on devices that are daily drivers, can't afford data loss.
Thanks for your reply and info. In regards to recovery method, I did have that set up prior to this happening, also have a recovery key handy from the original enabling of the feature. However, I am not able to get past this screen after I click continue. It hangs and bounces back to the screen. I have another iPhone which I’ve attempted to login to iCloud with as well and it also faces the same issues. And it gets even stranger, I can’t even log out of iCloud on my device if I wanted to try . Nothing happens.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Reactions: NoBoMac

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
I updated my iPhone to iOS17 beta too with ADP switched on, then thought i would go back to IOS 16 (about a day later) which I did and did not have this problem, was able to restore my back and all was fine (I did both iCloud and cable backup to my Mac).

Have you tried installing iOS17 again and then try to access your iCloud restore data that way, if you can upgrade and access your restores you maybe able to toggle the ADP OFF, then downgrade back to iOS16?

michaelscott91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I updated my iPhone to iOS17 beta too with ADP switched on, then thought i would go back to IOS 16 (about a day later) which I did and did not have this problem, was able to restore my back and all was fine (I did both iCloud and cable backup to my Mac).

Have you tried installing iOS17 again and then try to access your iCloud restore data that way, if you can upgrade and access your restores you maybe able to toggle the ADP OFF, then downgrade back to iOS16?
Thanks for the input and suggestion. I actually immediately tried that on Friday after the issue started thinking it would be a quick fix. Same errors. No luck. The engineering folks made me downgrade back to iOS 16.5.1 and to stay put as they collect logs.

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Thanks for the input and suggestion. I actually immediately tried that on Friday after the issue started thinking it would be a quick fix. Same errors. No luck. The engineering folks made me downgrade back to iOS 16.5.1 and to stay put as they collect logs.

That a bummer, just one other thing I noticed from your screenshots, and I don’t think it would be the problem, but maybe worth a try. Have you tried connecting to Wi-Fi (in your screenshot its shows wi-fi is off)? Just in case your LTE is blocking access to iCloud for some reason?

EDIT: Sorry just seen your second screenshot and Wi-Fi is on 😖

michaelscott91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
That a bummer, just one other thing I noticed from your screenshots, and I don’t think it would be the problem, but maybe worth a try. Have you tried connecting to Wi-Fi (in your screenshot its shows wi-fi is off)? Just in case your LTE is blocking access to iCloud for some reason?
Yes, I tried that as well. The poor apple support folks really tried every troubleshooting step possible with no resolution.

michaelscott91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Good luck recovering your account, I really hope Apple are able to help you restore your account! Please keep the threat updated.
Update!! I was able to successfully regain access on my own by deleting my trusted phone number and re added it right away. Then went in to advanced data protection and I was able to disable it and regain access. Thank you all for your help and suggestions😀

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Update!! I was able to successfully regain access on my own by deleting my trusted phone number and re added it right away. Then went in to advanced data protection and I was able to disable it and regain access. Thank you all for your help and suggestions😁

Excellent news so glad you got it working!

Maybe worth taking a backup of your photos and video and sticking them on an offline backup just in case!

Not having messages and all your data is one thing but to lose all your photos and video memory’s would be heart breaking (if your phone library is like mine with other 20k family photos!)

Anyway glad you got it sorted!

Reactions: michaelscott91

michaelscott91

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Excellent news so glad you got it working!

Maybe worth taking a backup of your photos and video and sticking them on an offline backup just in case!

Not having messages and all your data is one thing but to lose all your photos and video memory’s would be heart breaking (if your phone library is like mine with other 20k family photos!)

Anyway glad you got it sorted!
Absolutely, going forward I’m going to be doing backups to my computer routinely to avoid going through something like this again. Thank you for the help and insight really appreciated :)

KrimsonKappaman

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
Hello @
Important warning for those downgrading back to iOS 16.5/16.5.1!**

Hey all, just wanted to share this in hopes no one else runs in to this major issue. I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. On Wednesday, I decided to update my iPhone 14 Pro max to iOS 17 beta for a quick look at what’s new and to test it out. I’ve done the same practice every year since iOS 7 where I’ll back up my device prior, update to the beta, try it for a day and roll back to the public until we are deeper in the beta cycle and things get more usable. On Friday, I did the same procedure. Dfu restored back to iOS 16.5.1. All went fine, went through the normal set up screen, attempted to sign in to iCloud and knew something wasn’t right. I keep getting an unknown error retrieving my iCloud back ups. Eventually I got in to the Home Screen, and saw a new warning badge stating “Can’t access iCloud data” as shown in the screen shot. Every time I would click continue to proceed, it would just hang and not do anything. Tested on 16.5.1, and 16.6 betas as well. I am literally locked out of all my photos, iMessages, login, passwords etc. Called Apple support and they discovered that the issue is Advanced data protection. Prior to downgrading I didn’t turn it off as I never had issues prior this year backing up and restoring. Somehow there is a bug preventing me to disable it and to have access my iCloud data again. It’s been rough as I have a small business and rely heavily on iCloud files etc. We are on day 3 now and got passed on tonApple engineers to try and did this, even they are puzzled. They had me install log collecting profiles on my device today and are still trying to solve it. Hoping they have a solution soon. This is the weirdest and most difficult bug I’ve ever encountered. If anyone happens to have any suggestions please share, and the main point of this post is to prevent anyone else from getting in to this cluster.

hello Michael:

I literally am running into the same problem with the same scenario. I have attempted my recovery key (is not working) as well as provided a code (from my recovery contact) and I have been unsuccessful. Just like you, my iCloud has has my 2FA backup which I need to even access my 1Password account to get the passwords to all my other accounts, etc.

Apple Support, just as with you want me to do the log process and such, but I came across you post and thought you might be able to assist. I would really appreciate some direction as Apple Support has been unsuccessful for me!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hello @

hello Michael:

I literally am running into the same problem with the same scenario. I have attempted my recovery key (is not working) as well as provided a code (from my recovery contact) and I have been unsuccessful. Just like you, my iCloud has has my 2FA backup which I need to even access my 1Password account to get the passwords to all my other accounts, etc.

Apple Support, just as with you want me to do the log process and such, but I came across you post and thought you might be able to assist. I would really appreciate some direction as Apple Support has been unsuccessful for me!
Did you not read the entire thread? Post #9 clearly states:

Update!! I was able to successfully regain access on my own by deleting my trusted phone number and re added it right away. Then went in to advanced data protection and I was able to disable it and regain access.

NiceBolty

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2023
Update!! I was able to successfully regain access on my own by deleting my trusted phone number and re added it right away. Then went in to advanced data protection and I was able to disable it and regain access. Thank you all for your help and suggestions😀
Hitting this bug now... replacing the trusted phone number trick didnt work for me. Can you walk me step by step on what you did and then your key worked?

Last edited:

NiceBolty

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2023
Hitting this bug now... replacing the trusted phone number trick didnt work for me. Can you walk me step by step on what you did and then your key worked?
Another update. Replacing the trusted number actually worked but I needed to power off my phone and power back on. Within the hour I was able to use my 28 digit encryption key and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.