Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laverdure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2021
Hello everyone,

hope someone can suggest something, I already tried everything I could...

MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 431.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.16f68

OS Catalina*
System Version: macOS 10.15.7 (19H1030)
Kernel Version: Darwin 19.6.0

*until this morning, now running Big Sur
System Version: macOS 11.3.1 (20E241)
Kernel Version: Darwin 20.4.0

Since a couple of years having periodical issues of blank screen on startup, usually solved with resetting PRAM and SMC and/or running First Aid in Disk Utility
also managed to operate with an external display, both in Safe Boot that in normal booting
Usually the issue disappeared in a few hours and the MBP went on working great... until two days ago.

This time things are different:
- I tried several times to reset PRAM, SMC and run Disk utility, but nothing worked.
- Also, external display would work only in Safe boot, otherwise showing booting apple but after that going blank or freezing on a dark and badly cropped image of my login before stopping. After that I get the message that pc rebooted for a problem, but I had to power off and restart.

- Today I managed to boot normally in clamshell mode (ext display, mouse and keyboard), downloaded Big Sur upgrade and upgraded from Safe boot to avoid installing in clamshell (which I had to after the machine failed to use the second display during installation) but...
- Upgrade went smooth, everything is woroking except... the retina display! Upgrade didn't solve the issue.
- The only difference after the upgrade to Big Sur is that at least now I can operate with the external display even in normal boot.

Backlight working and the MBP display is slighty lit!
Looks not like a hardware issue, hope someone can help.
Thank you.

Laverdure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2021
[SOLVED]

I tried the simple hardware fix suggested in this video and it worked!

I was skeptical because the display was not totally black, so I thought there could be no cable disconnection problems, but luckily I was wrong. And it seems the issue is quite common among people who are used to carry often around their Macs. I wonder if that was the problem since the beginning, or if some software or disk issue were also on the table: actually resetting the PRAM and/or SMC used to work.
I hope this will be useful for other users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.