Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

centradragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Ey mates! I have a cool old 5,1 that I wanted to inject additional life into. Long story short, it currently has 32GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 (8GB each in 4 slots next to one processor), and I bought 32GB more RAM (same size and specs, different brand) to fill the remaining 4 slots with.

I've already tested all the RAM and they work great in any combination in the first four RAM slots — that being said, installing more RAM in ANY combination (just one stick, just two, four, one brand or another, etc) in the remaining four slots does one thing:

Computer won't turn on, and the white light by the button blinks endlessly.

If I remove the offending RAM from those slots, it boots up perfectly. I can't install just 4 sticks into those slots either; it just won't turn on.

I've searched EVERYWHERE and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Is it possible I have a bad CPU tray? The RAM seems well-seated and I can't imagine I'd screw up one side and not the other, multiple times. It ain't my first rodeo, but I'm just baffled on this one.

Thanks for reading, and I hope ya'll are having a good week!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.19.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.19.04 PM.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 292

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Are you sure that your DIMM are all the same? Maybe you bought UDIMM instead of RDIMM or the inverse. You can't mix UDIMM with RDIMM.

Besides UDIMM vs RDIMM, maybe your second Xeon is defective, or your tray. To check if it's your Xeon, just invert the Xeons on the sockets, install the original Xeon A on socket B. If then the slots 5 to 8 work and 1 to 4 stop working, it's the Xeon and not the tray.

Reactions: centradragon

centradragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Are you sure that your DIMM are all the same? Maybe you bought UDIMM instead of RDIMM or the inverse. You can't mix UDIMM with RDIMM.

Besides UDIMM vs RDIMM, maybe your second Xeon is defective, or your tray. To check if it's your Xeon, just invert the Xeons on the sockets, install the original Xeon A on socket B. If then the slots 5 to 8 work and 1 to 4 stop working, it's the Xeon and not the tray.

Mate, you're an absolute godsend!

Crucial CT102472BB133936FD1 8Gb 2RX4 PC3-10600R DIMM
OWC 8GB PC-8500 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM (OWC85MP3W8M32K)

I'm 99.9% sure I mixed registered and unregistered RAM, like you suggested. I can't believe it! I learned something new today and I'm so happy it's my own lack of knowledge and not my machine being broken.

Thank you so much, and I hope you have a wonderful day. Pretty sure this is case closed! :D

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Mate, you're an absolute godsend!

Crucial CT102472BB133936FD1 8Gb 2RX4 PC3-10600R DIMM
OWC 8GB PC-8500 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM (OWC85MP3W8M32K)

I'm 99.9% sure I mixed registered and unregistered RAM, like you suggested. I can't believe it! I learned something new today and I'm so happy it's my own lack of knowledge and not my machine being broken.

Thank you so much, and I hope you have a wonderful day. Pretty sure this is case closed! :D
A lot of OWC RAM is UDIMM. It's easy to see, the DIMM don't have the register controller on the PCB, at the centre.

Your OWC RAM are UDIMM, see here:

Without even searching, I know that your Crucial DIMMs are Registered, see the R at PC3-10600R.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.