Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
Hi all,

I've been looking at the new G1 for a little while, and have been looking to purchase it as my first DSLR.

What I like about it, is the fact it is very compact. Though I understand the D40 is close to it? Especially in regards to an upcoming trip to Australia where I'd like to take some nice RAW shots to take home.

I know the price is quite high, but I'm able to get 25% off the price of the camera+lens kit, which takes it to just over £400 in total. Is this now worth it bearing in mind the discounts I can get for this new camera over an older with lower MP count, but still useful D40 for instance?

Cheers. ;)

theconverted

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
Chicago
Im in the same boat. Ive been thinking of getting it as my first DSLR as well. I hope some experienced photographers can comment on this.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well honestly, why would you want a G1? The D40 body size is almost the same in fact Oly E... something (which is the smallest DSLR) is just as big as the G1.

I saw some early pics of the G1, I'm not impressed cause with the size of the body and the image quality at ISO800, I would take a REAL DSLR over it any day. The D40, XS took much better picture then the G1 at any ISO unless you want the G1 is because of the LiveView.

Honestly, I prefer Oly idea of the MicroFourThirds standard, eventhough that they remove the mirror box so that the camera can become smaller, the G1 does not show that, in fact its size is just as big as beginner DSLR (slightly smaller) and the image quality is just so-so.

Originally I was pretty hyped up about the G1, but after looking at its dimension and compare to the image quality and the lens choices (the G1, is new so there aren't many lens choices). I will still go for a DSLR, the only way the G1 is going to attract a lot of people if it has a build-in video recording feature.

Get the D40, you will get much more lens choices and a proven technology. You won't want to ruin your trip to Australia on a camera that is not even proven yet.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
Well honestly, why would you want a G1? The D40 body size is almost the same in fact Oly E... something (which is the smallest DSLR) is just as big as the G1.

I saw some early pics of the G1, I'm not impressed cause with the size of the body and the image quality at ISO800, I would take a REAL DSLR over it any day. The D40, XS took much better picture then the G1 at any ISO unless you want the G1 is because of the LiveView.

Honestly, I prefer Oly idea of the MicroFourThirds standard, eventhough that they remove the mirror box so that the camera can become smaller, the G1 does not show that, in fact its size is just as big as beginner DSLR (slightly smaller) and the image quality is just so-so.

Originally I was pretty hyped up about the G1, but after looking at its dimension and compare to the image quality and the lens choices (the G1, is new so there aren't many lens choices). I will still go for a DSLR, the only way the G1 is going to attract a lot of people if it has a build-in video recording feature.

Get the D40, you will get much more lens choices and a proven technology. You won't want to ruin your trip to Australia on a camera that is not even proven yet.

I don't really care much for video in a DSLR. To me, I'm getting a camera to capture stills, if I want to capture video - I will (and have) get a dedicated HD video camera. I don't like the idea of converging the two - I'm trying to get away from that by moving away from point-and-shoot cameras that do both. I know it's going to be a big thing in '09 for DSLR's, but for me - I don't see the point.

I like the higher MP count on the G1 over the D40. You can use the older lenses through an adaptor I hear, but that you lose the auto-focus feature... Hmm.

The other choice would perhaps be the Olympus E420 which seems to tick a lot of the right boxes. And I do also take on the point that I should remember the fact I'd want something dependable also whilst on this trip. Decisions lol

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well here is another reason why someone might prefer the G1 as a second camera (take note of this) is because if this person is in extreme sports and would like to carry a camera that is more durable, then maybe the G1 will fit the bill, cause DSLR has a mirrorbox which mean it has more moving parts then the G1, hence less durable. Just a pre-assumption so don't take this word seriously.

Oh yea, take note that higher megapixels doesn't mean better pictures (there is a reason for this and I don't think I'm the right person to explain to you cause Im not sure how to write it down), since you want to capture stills, then the lens quality is more important then the camera body.
But I am still able to give you an example, a D40 w/6 megapixel will blow away images from a 10-12 megapixel point and shoot, and why is that? Cause of the sensor size. Another example is let say fix the ISO at 3200, there is some situation where, Camera A (10 megapixel) will take better images then a Camera B (14 megapixel) at that ISO (from the same camera Company).

I strongly recommend you getting a proper DSLR then a MicroFourThirds because its still new, lack of lens choices and the G1 size is as big as a normal beginner DSLR and its noise at higher sensitivity (very bad noise at ISO 800 and above). And since you don't care bout video and you want to move away from PnS (meaning moving away from the lack of controls and LiveView) get a DSLR, the G1 uses a live view viewfinder which is NOT the same as a conventional viewfinder.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi all,

I've been looking at the new G1 for a little while, and have been looking to purchase it as my first DSLR.

What I like about it, is the fact it is very compact. Though I understand the D40 is close to it? Especially in regards to an upcoming trip to Australia where I'd like to take some nice RAW shots to take home.

When you buy an SLR you are buying into a system. You will replace the body and buy lenses and the system will grow over the years. So choos a brand and system that you can live with for a long time. The G1 is a bit of a risk. Will there even be a G2? What is the upgrade path? They will never make a "full frame" sensor. Is that OK. Can you buy used lenses? is there a market for your lenses if you want to sell one?

Nikon and Canon are conservative choises because the systems are huge, have an upgrade path and both have been in this business for 50 years are are likely to be around for a long time.

Look at the lens options on any camera system and make sure they have what you want. Do you need a wide and fast prime? "ultra telephoto". Will you want one in 5 or 10 years. When you buy an SLR you sould think way ahead. Don't just look at the thing you will buy today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.