Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I've had my D50 for a couple of weeks now, and learning a few things. I've noticed that I have a failure rate on transferring images from the SD card to computer of about 1 in 8. Typically, after downloading all the shots from the card using a usb 2.0 card reader, they appear okay in the thumbnails, but some of the pictures when viewed for editing are corrupted. Usually, this shows up as some banding in the image, sometimes half the image looks as if it only has some of the information. I can see the image faintly, but it is green, or purple, and part of it is normal. Sometimes there is a 'shift' halfway across the image, as if I selected the lower part of the image and moved it from 2 to 10 pixels to one side, yet otherwise the image looks fine.

Each time I get a picture that is 'messed up,' I have selected it again to download, and it then downloads normally, and I then delete the corrupted file. I have tried Nikon's photo management program, Canon's photomanagement software and Picasa (using Windows) and all work equally well, yet the same issues recur, so it isn't the software. Also, the images are actually good on the SD card, so it isn't the camera. It occurs in the download process. Could it have something to do with the 'speed' of my SD card? Is USB 2.0 too fast for the card, and tripping up the data transfer somewhere along the way? I can work around it, but it is a pain in the rear to have to go back and selectively re-download the images that show these flaws the first time.

Note: I have only tried to download directly from the camera (D50) one time, preferring to use a card reader, and didn't have a noticeable damaged files doing it that way, but there were only a few. It mainly seems to be a problem when I'm downloading a high number of images (over 100) at a time.

Anybody who might have any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
I'd be leaning towards it being a problem with your card reader. Do you have another camera that you use with the reader so that you can rule that out?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
tvguru said:
I'd be leaning towards it being a problem with your card reader. Do you have another camera that you use with the reader so that you can rule that out?

Not one that uses SD cards, and this particular card reader is exclusively SD. It could be a couple of things - the card reader or my USB 2.0 cardbus card I use with my laptop. I'll have to test this out on my Dad's Mac mini to see if the problem is local to the pc laptop, or the SD card reader itself. Anyway, I'll try a few variations before coming to any conclusions. At least I know it ain't the D50...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.