Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaelis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Hey everyone,

For the sake of visibility I'm posting some benchmark results, they will be helpful for potential buyers.

This is the configuration I bought :
  • iMac 27inch 2019
  • i5 9600K
  • RX 580X
  • 8GB RAM
  • 512GB SSD

I tried two different benchmarks, Cinebench R20 for the CPU, and Unigine Heaven 4.0 for CPU/GPU (more GPU biased). All benchmarks were realized with as little background processes as possible.

Cinebench R20 result :
  • 2489, just above the I7-7700K with 2420. 12C/24T Xeon X5650 is at 2705.

Unigine Heaven 4.0 in Extreme Preset :
  • MacOS / OpenGL : 45.9 FPS - Score 1156
  • Windows 10 / OpenGL : 50.5 FPS - 1272
  • Windows 10 / DirectX11 : 60.8 FPS - 1531

I'm a bit of a gamer so I tried different games, I partly bought this iMac to play Total War Warhammer 2 between photo editing and website redaction. The results are pretty positive, it can run games better than my old gaming desktop : i5-2400/ MSI R9 290/8GB RAM/512 SSD.

Fan noise is only a problem when playing with no sound, otherwise - be it the integrated speakers or headphones - the sound of the game will cover the fan noise level.

Here are the results, all games ran in Bootcamp except for League of Legends. Total War Warhammer 1 & 2 run pretty good in Metal under MacOS but DirectX11/12 are still 10 to 15% faster under Windows.

• Total War Warhammer 2 : 30-50 FPS in Ultra settings 1440p, no AA, no SSAO, DirectX11 or 12 don't change much
  • Dark Souls 3 : 45-60 FPS in max settings 1440p
  • Sekiro : 45-60 FPS in max settings 1440p
  • Dead or Alive 6 : 50-60FPS max settings 1440p, 20-30FPS max settings 4K
  • Soul Calibur VI : locked 60FPS max settings 1440p
  • League of Legends : max settings locked 60 FPS 5K
  • Rocket League : max settings 60FPS 1440p
  • CS : GO : max settings 60FPS 5K

About the iMac itself, that's my first iMac after owning two different MBP : 2013 13inch Retina and 2018 13inch nTB.
The big and beautiful screen is awesome for photo editing and web redaction. I can write my posts and edit my pictures very fast and easily with that screen estate. I like the bezels because it cut my on-screen content from the real world, so I can edit without getting influenced by what's behind or on the sides of my screen.

Performance is really fast, I have to resize a lot of heavy images for my website and it's instant now, whereas before I had to wait several seconds on my MBP depending on the numbers of images and their original size. Lightroom is fast with rendering, same with my Nik collection plugins.

The speakers are pretty nice for integrated ones, when I want some background music I don't have to hassle with my bluetooth Klipsch speakers and let the iMac be the jukebox. The keyboard and trackpad (didn't take the Magic Mouse) are stellar as always with Apple.

In the end, I'm glad I took this iMac 2019, it allows me to work without any hassle on my pictures and my website, game here and there with high settings on recent games without turning into a furnace, while not being an eyesore in my living room thanks to this timeless design.
We all know that it's possible to get a faster desktop windows computer for less money, but an AIO is all about compromise and I think Apple struck a good middle-ground. When you add the price of a 5K screen into the deal it gets pretty interesting even. If you need a 5K screen that is but for photography it's a real plus.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Could you run Intel Power Gadget and note CPU temp after running the Cinebench test a few times in a row (screenshot would be great)? Also note if the fan is getting noisy as well. Thanks!

Reactions: pixelshaders

PBMB

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2015
Thank you for this review!
Fan noise is only a problem when playing with no sound, otherwise - be it the integrated speakers or headphones - the sound of the game will cover the fan noise level.

So you mean that even with demanding games the fan noise is still reasonably low? Is it possible to capture and post here CPU temperature readings while playing such a game?

What would also be interesting is to see results in games with the two different GPU options (580X and Vega 48) on the i5-9600K iMac.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Strange
Kaelis
you have an iMac running Mojave?
Heaven doesn't run on my Mac Pro under Mojave, however it does under High Sierra.
Score with Radeon 580 is 46 FPS, with the Geforce 980 68 FPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.