Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
IMG_0025.jpg

ISO 10053mm
f/9
1/100

IMG_0028.jpg

ISO 800
34mm
f/9
1/160

IMG_0013.jpg

ISO 400
44mm
f/5.6
1/80

IMG_0003-1.jpg

ISO 100
55mm
f/5.6
1/60

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The first one's not a bad shot, but it looks like focus is just in front of the eye, generally for live subjects you want the eye in sharp focus. Outside of that, the framing and exposure look good.

The second one is a bit too cluttered for me, there are too many choices for the "subject." The post on the right doesn't add to the composition, and the background isn't blurred enough- I'd have tried to go with a narrower framing and a shallower depth of field. I'd also have tried to find a composition that leads the eye into the frame, this is just too much of a jumble.

The third one needs lighting. The human eye is drawn to the brighter spots in a picture, and in this case, the subject is in the darkest corner and dark itself, while our eyes are drawn to the background, where there's nothing of interest. I'm also not sure the empty space on the right helps the composition any, but without light on the subject it's difficult to tell.

The last one is too centered and too cluttered to work for me. The path doesn't work as a subject because of all the debris scattered about, and the leading lines happily lead our eyes into the center of the frame, but once they get there, there's nothing to focus on. Also, the bright spot on the left is distracting, I'd have framed so it wasn't there.

Paul

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
London
they all seem like the typical cliched photo. Try mixing it up a little like putting something dead centre instead of following the rule of thirds as it would say in a book? looking at the subject from a higher viewpoint? anything!?

just experiment and see if they have more impact ya'know? try to get an image to make the viewer go "wait a minute! this is different."

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Commenting on the fourth pic, I think something at the end of the path is needed. You've got the eye leading there but nothing to focus on as compuwar says. Perhaps someone walking dressed in red, or yellow to add some contrast and a focal point.

Generally for landscapes you'd want to close down the aperture to f/8 or smaller to achieve greater Dof and sharpness throughout the scene, and for your wind chimes the opposite - the widest aperture your lens offers. This'll result in an image with less Dof and as said will better separate them from the background.

I like the first pic, and keep at it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.