Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geniusdog254

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
I was outside waiting for some birds to show up today to get some nice action shots, but they never did so I took this :rolleyes:

It turned out pretty good I think. I did very little post-processing on this, just cropped the butterfly in closer, increased the vibrance on the wings a little and turned up the exposure slightly in the area under the wings. What do you guys think? I will post the original and the uncropped version if you like.

Attachments

• butterfly_cropped.jpg
    butterfly_cropped.jpg
    858.3 KB · Views: 148

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Crop the image more towards the butterfly, because the detail of the rocks is distracting.... I think that's about it.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I think there is too little color contrast.. if you look quickly, the butterfly disappears with the rock texture... I agree with the crop in closer but then again, what was the original resolution and how much have you cropped already?...

To make the butterfly stand out more, convert it to black and white with an adjustment layer and then unmask the butterfly, and increase the vibrance a LOT.

just my 2c..

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Butterfly shots are really most effective when shot against a green background -- that is, the butterfly perched on a leaf or stem. This particular image doesn't really have much for the viewer to enjoy because of the lack of contrast and the fact that one can't really appreciate the beauty of the butterfly and its colorings/markings due to the brownish rocky background.

It is also helpful when shooting butterflies or insects to use a macro lens in order to get much closer to the subject in a 1:1 ratio.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I was outside waiting for some birds to show up today to get some nice action shots, but they never did so I took this :rolleyes:

It turned out pretty good I think. I did very little post-processing on this, just cropped the butterfly in closer, increased the vibrance on the wings a little and turned up the exposure slightly in the area under the wings. What do you guys think? I will post the original and the uncropped version if you like.

Both the background's clutter and color work against this. Shooting in mid-day light without a lot of cloud cover is also normally a bad thing. I'm more often a fan of telephotos for close-ups, not every butterfly shot needs to be 1:1 to look good. Having a flower to help with the composition would be good, and the lines given by stalks, stems and leaves often help to make an image complete.

Markie0284

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
It is overexposed and severely out of focus. The background is also quite distracting as another poster has mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.