Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Ok, I've finally gotten up the nerve to share a few pics. These are shot with my Canon Powershot S2 IS, which was brand new at the time :p

This one is from my mother's garden in Wisconsin. She has some wild plants, and I played with the saturation a bit on this one to make it a bit more intense.

IMG_0543.jpg

Another saturation-altered plant.

IMG_0577.jpg

Here is the original, and an altered version. I can't decide which I like best. There's more definition in the leaves in the first, but I like how there's more depth in the white in the second, without sacrificing the leaves entirely.

whiteflower.jpg

whiteflower_1.jpg

I've played around in this in aperture, to try to emphasize the intense concentration without removing TOO many of the great facial details, and to blur a bit of the background.

IMG_0436.jpg

And finally, the world's largest Merry-go-round, in motion.

IMG_0350.jpg

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
I don´t know why the last one is only partly there, I´ll see what´s up with Photobucket and try to fix it. There´s nothing earth-shattering in the bottom of the pic, but it looks peculiar.

Edit: Fixed!

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
Wow! Those are incredible. I really like how you've increased the saturation. It makes them look very lively. Thanks for sharing.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Thanks, you guys :) . My mom´s garden is amazing, she grows wild stuff. I spent a couple hours down there, getting bitten by mosquitoes.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
annk said:
Thanks, you guys :) . My mom´s garden is amazing, she grows wild stuff. I spent a couple hours down there, getting bitten by mosquitoes.
Very, very nice photos. I especially love the first 2!! On the flower, I say I like the whiter and brighter one. The other one seems a bit dull in my opinion (still quite nice, but not as much so as the other one).
Nice pics! :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My favorite is the white flower without modification. If you wanted, you could gently lighten the flower a smidgen and keep the leaves "as is" in order to achieve the effect you want.

The overly-saturated ones really pop out at the viewer! Wow! A little TOO over-saturated for my taste, but certainly you are creative!

Love the carousel at the end!

Edited to add: I think you're more than ready for a DSLR! :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i love them, especially the first one. just beauitful.
awesome job, i wish i had some shots that were an eighth as good.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
realityisterror said:
The plants with saturation look phenomenal.
Did you make any other changes to them? cause it looks too good

:)

To honest, I may have - I was playing around in Aperture for the first time, and was pulling the bars here and there, not really know what I was doing, but wanting to see what did what. Saturation is the only one I specifically remember.

But I didn´t do any retouching, or anything like that. The faint string-like thing you barely can see, is a spider web, by the way.

Clix Pix said:
A little TOO over-saturated for my taste, but certainly you are creative!

Yeah, I know :eek: , the first one especially borders on being a bit vulgar, but I decided to let it be, since it really reminded me of the wildness of her garden. `Spose it was a case of a camera n00b getting Aperture, hehe.

Clix Pix said:
If you wanted, you could gently lighten the flower a smidgen and keep the leaves "as is" in order to achieve the effect you want.

Hmmm...it didn´t even occur to me that I could lighten/darken only one part. Wouldn´t the flower be hard to isolate? I gotta try this.

After G said:
Any chance for bigger ones so I can have a few desktops?

Sure send me a PM with your mail address and which ones you want, and I´ll send you some.

Clix Pix said:
Edited to add: I think you're more than ready for a DSLR!

Now if only my bank account were ready!!:rolleyes:

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Here´s the original of that first one. My mother likes this one much better; she was appalled at the altered one. I see her point, I just liked the way (as Clix Pix said) it jumped out at me.

IMG_544.jpg

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
I agree the original of the first one is better. I tend to be a saturation monster :rolleyes:, but I think this looks very nice and natural in the original! :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
On the white flower, try selecting the flower only, applying a smidgen of feathering (only a couple of pixels) and do you white saturation adjustment, and your leaf adjustment, separately. Since there's such a large contrast between the foreground and background, it will be hard to tell you have manipulated them unequally.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
On the white flower, try selecting the flower only, applying a smidgen of feathering (only a couple of pixels) and do you white saturation adjustment, and your leaf adjustment, separately. Since there's such a large contrast between the foreground and background, it will be hard to tell you have manipulated them unequally.

Thanks, I'll try that. I just wish I had framed it better - had I realised it was going to turn out relatively well, I would have paid more attention to getting the whole flower in the frame. Guess it'll teach me to pay attention to details while shooting.

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
annk said:
And finally, the world's largest Merry-go-round, in motion.

IMG_0350.jpg

Is this The House on The Rock?

I was there last summer and have a photo a bit like that :)

Quite a strange place but pretty interesting!

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
nw43 said:
Is this The House on The Rock?

I was there last summer and have a photo a bit like that :)

Quite a strange place but pretty interesting!

Yes, it is! I always try to get there once when I´m back visiting, about every 2 years. The woman you barely can see in front is my sister-in-law.

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
Cool, I thought as much. I think it's a great place but, if anything, they have a little too much of everything! It can be a little overwhelming... :eek:

Oh, I really like your pics by the way. Especially the first one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.