Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Hello, I bought an iPad Pro 11“ + Magic Keyboard and the keyboard its a little bit uncomfortable for me, I always use the keyboard of the MBP and because this is smaller, the typing experience is not as good as I though. I dont know if I need a few days to get used to the Keyboard...

Anyone has the same experience?

I had the iPad Pro 12.9” but for this time I want more portability and I go for the 11” version, but maybe the combination of MK and 11” is not for me.

Sometimes I touch the iPad screen with my fingers when i am typing faster, is it the same experience in the MK of the 12.9”?

Reactions: DiamondarBoss

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Imo iPad Pro 11” is like the worst part of both worlds: portability is not much better compared with iPad mini, screen is not big enough to make web browsing or reading PDF a great experience. The 11” does make snugging iPad into some sizes of backpacks easier though.

Thanks to how apple designs MK, keys have smaller gaps between them and some keys are far more squished than 12.9” version.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I started my iPad Pro Journey with Gen 1 and 2 With the 12.9 inch model then the 1st GEN/2018 model I went with the 11 inch the keyboard Is noticeably smaller but I used it for just over two years it did take a little bit of time to get used to the closer keys in the smaller form of keyboard stick with it you’ll get past it and if you can’t you can sell the 11 and the MK and go to the 12.9 and MK. For me moving into the 2020 model year I upgraded to the 12.9 inch and the MK I passed on my 11 inch to my dad but had also ordered the 11 inch MK to compare before returning the 11 inch MK again it’s noticeable how much bigger the 12.9 inch MK is Some things I had missed and the 12.9 that were made even better in the New body style are smaller bezels lighter weight full size on screen keyboard. I don’t regret getting the 11 inch in 2018 but I absolutely love the 2020 12.9 inch and if I really need it I can take the 11 inch back I always have my iPad Pro with me Wherever I go unlike my Gen 1&2 stayed at home 98% of time Hope this helps you good luck

Reactions: zehcnassurfero

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
It may take some getting used to. I have a 12.9+MK and the typing experience is quite good for me, and I would likely feel somewhat cramped on the 11. There are so many factors though that influence your experience including hand size and if you're going back and forth while using a different keyboard on another laptop or desktop.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I bought the 12.9 in 2015 and kept it until I got the 11 inch in 2018. I now have the 2020 11 inch and magic keyboard, and I am really glad I made the size decrease. I find myself taking it way more places as well.

I haven’t had any problems typing on the magic keyboard, and the only issue I have with it is the lack of function keys.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Hello, I bought an iPad Pro 11“ + Magic Keyboard and the keyboard its a little bit uncomfortable for me, I always use the keyboard of the MBP and because this is smaller, the typing experience is not as good as I though. I dont know if I need a few days to get used to the Keyboard...

Anyone has the same experience?

I had the iPad Pro 12.9” but for this time I want more portability and I go for the 11” version, but maybe the combination of MK and 11” is not for me.

Sometimes I touch the iPad screen with my fingers when i am typing faster, is it the same experience in the MK of the 12.9”?

I had an 1” iPad Pro with MK for a few days as my friend was away and I was interested to see how it compared To the 12.9”. Having used the 12.9” for a while, I found the 11” very cramped and was hitting the screen occasionally with my fingers while typing. I’m sure I’d get used to it over time though.

I have read similar posts to yours and see people on podcasts making similar observations about it being a bit cramped.

I still think the 11” with MK makes a great ultra-portable, but I don’t think the 12.9” setup is that bulky in comparison. I guess it depends on your use case.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Imo iPad Pro 11” is like the worst part of both worlds: portability is not much better compared with iPad mini, screen is not big enough to make web browsing or reading PDF a great experience. The 11” does make snugging iPad into some sizes of backpacks easier though.

Thanks to how apple designs MK, keys have smaller gaps between them and some keys are far more squished than 12.9” version.
I’d whole heartedly disagree. IMO the 11” is the best iPad In terms of size and portability. If I really needed or used a keyboard often the 12.9 would be a distant 3rd behind the MBP and the Air.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
It may take some getting used to. I have a 12.9+MK and the typing experience is quite good for me, and I would likely feel somewhat cramped on the 11. There are so many factors though that influence your experience including hand size and if you're going back and forth while using a different keyboard on another laptop or desktop.

Do you touch the screen when you are typing?
[automerge]1595324504[/automerge]
I bought the 12.9 in 2015 and kept it until I got the 11 inch in 2018. I now have the 2020 11 inch and magic keyboard, and I am really glad I made the size decrease. I find myself taking it way more places as well.

I haven’t had any problems typing on the magic keyboard, and the only issue I have with it is the lack of function keys.

I think its a good size, I love to, but the MK it’s worrying me, since the first days i am getting used to using this size of keyboard, but I don’t know if its The experience that I Want when i am typing
[automerge]1595324813[/automerge]
Give it a few days, it was an adjustment for the first day for me. Now I can go between the MK and the full sized keyboard i use all day for work without much issue.

Thank you! You leave me calmer. I am testing these days, I am getting used to using de MK

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Key spacing on the 11” iPad Pro is I believe 18 mm.

It’s 19 mm on the MacBook Pro and 12.9” iPad Pro.

Both sizes are considered ergonomically correct and both are considered “full-size” keyboards, but obviously the 11” is a smaller version of “full-size”. It’s not until you go below 18 mm before most people have problems but YMMV.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The 11 inch iPad and the magic keyboard is only for very occasional use in my case. There are times when I'm on vacation, but I still have to send out a few emails and this allows me to leave the work laptop at home. It works great and its a little smaller than what I'm used to but it's far better than using the digital keyboard.

If I was looking to make this my daily work device I'd definitely go for the 12.9 combo but more likely would just get a macbook pro or other laptop. Since most of the time my iPad is a consumption device the portability of the 11 inch wins out handily.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
The 11 inch iPad and the magic keyboard is only for very occasional use in my case. There are times when I'm on vacation, but I still have to send out a few emails and this allows me to leave the work laptop at home. It works great and its a little smaller than what I'm used to but it's far better than using the digital keyboard.

If I was looking to make this my daily work device I'd definitely go for the 12.9 combo but more likely would just get a macbook pro or other laptop. Since most of the time my iPad is a consumption device the portability of the 11 inch wins out handily.

Yes, I usually use my iPad daily and I need a new MBP, after which MBP size to buy, I have to decide which size of iPad.

Maybe if I go for the iPad 11”, it’s not as worth it with a MK, only for Apple Pencil use to taking notes and web browsing.

But when I bought the iPad 11” with Magic Keyboard I would want to carry with me anywhere without carry the MBP all the time, so it’s because I am in doubt.

Carry an iPad 12.9” and MBP 16” it’s so heavy.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If you’re very concerned about weight you might want to consider not getting the Magic Keyboard. The Smart Keyboard Folio is lighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.