Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
A friend of mine is good friends with these two guys who are a hip-hop group or band or whatever, and he's doing their website and promotion and needed some shots taken of the guys. So he asked me if I'd be up to it, to make some extra cash. I just got my Rebel XT, so I jumped at the opportunity to experiment and practice with my new camera. Plus, it was a lot of fun. Just thought I'd share some shots with you guys, to see what you think. Please bare in mind that I'm 18 and about to start art school at SCAD, so I haven't had any classes yet, but I'm thinking about a major in photography.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

more below..

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Here's a promo idea I came up with, along with a logo I did for them. This was the last shot of the shoot.
23.jpg

That's all. :D

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Those last two are excelent. I must say some of their poses look forced, but very good camera work. What equipment did you use?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
jimsowden said:
Those last two are excelent. I must say some of their poses look forced, but very good camera work. What equipment did you use?

Well, I posed them very little. In most of the shots, I just kept shooting while they fooled around.

I was using my 350D with the kit lens (18-55mm), 28-90mm, and a 75-300mm. I think I used the 28-90 the most.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
seenew said:

Go back and reshoot this one, if you can, without the motion of the heads. Or was that how the window gave the reflection? It's a definite keeper idea.

Of all them, this one stood out the most to me. Great usage of reflection, angle, and noise.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
FrankieTDouglas said:
Go back and reshoot this one, if you can, without the motion of the heads. Or was that how the window gave the reflection? It's a definite keeper idea.

Of all them, this one stood out the most to me. Great usage of reflection, angle, and noise.

Looks like a double-reflection from a mirror. Look closely at a mirror, or take a picture in it, and you can see it.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
Good natural talent, refreshing to see. Congrats, you'll be on your way just fine.

I like the composition you put together. Can I ask what your lighting setup was in the second to last photo?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
mlrproducts said:
Good natural talent, refreshing to see. Congrats, you'll be on your way just fine.

I like the composition you put together. Can I ask what your lighting setup was in the second to last photo?

Thanks a lot. And sorry if it disappoints you, but I just got lucky that the lighting was there. It was just an outdoor fixture at a church. (on the ceiling)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think most of them are good, and I especially like the last five pictures, the two in the archways and the two profile pics before and after the archway pics.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I agree with all the other posters and would like to add that the second last shot in the first post (they are sitting on a bench) is a good shot as well. I really like it.

The Past

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2004
United States
They are pretty good. Did you consider playing around with others in PS as you did with some?

I looked at one from different perspectives and there is certainly more promise hiding in some of these pictures. Here's your original and the mod.

Attachments

• 17-1.gif
    17-1.gif
    237.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 17-mod.gif
    17-mod.gif
    211.7 KB · Views: 116

chrismccorkle

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Very nice, BUT! As a recent SCADian, BEWARE of the photo department! Be READY to spend thousands of dollars (seriously) on photo equipment for the basics! Oh yeah, and put your 350d away for about 2 years until you can use it in class.

That's all!

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
chrismccorkle said:
Very nice, BUT! As a recent SCADian, BEWARE of the photo department! Be READY to spend thousands of dollars (seriously) on photo equipment for the basics! Oh yeah, and put your 350d away for about 2 years until you can use it in class.

That's all!

Aha! I was hoping to run into someone from SCAD! Two years? I suspected something like that. :( Can you give me an idea of how the photography department is run over there?

And when did you graduate and what are you doing/planning to do now?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
The Past said:
They are pretty good. Did you consider playing around with others in PS as you did with some?

I looked at one from different perspectives and there is certainly more promise hiding in some of these pictures. Here's your original and the mod.

Uh, I had already sharpened that shot, looks like you took it to the absolute limit! I think that's a bit to grainy for my tastes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.