Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
This was day 2 of 3 of the events, but my first day shooting it. I was baking out there until it started pouring, then it cooled off probably ten degrees. Still felt pretty miserable, and I was glad to leave. I've got to shoot more tomorrow, too. :(

anyway, you can learn more about the events at http://aflacOutdoorGames.com

these are just a few of the shots I took (I think I must have fired off around 400 or so), and all but one of these are just the dog competitions.

Agility Dogs
agDogs1.jpg

agDogs2.jpg

agDogs3.jpg

Dock Dogs
dockDogs1.jpg

dockDogs2.jpg

invisibleJetSki.jpg

Speed Climb
speedClimb.jpg

I'll keep updating this thread as I sort through to find the good shots after I finish tomorrow.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I was using a 5D with a 17-40 f/4L for the wide shots, and a 350D with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for the tele shots.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Big fan of vignetting, huh? :)

That first shot of the dog is fantastic. It's like he is running the course specifically for that photo.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Big fan of vignetting, huh? :)

That first shot of the dog is fantastic. It's like he is running the course specifically for that photo.

Yeah why? :confused:

OP, they look good as far as the capture and composition goes, but is it me or is there something about the overall color? Were these from a film scan or something?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
They look perfect on my Mac screen as well as at four 32" PC photo-calibrated screens at a friend's professional photo lab. Beautiful colors, and I don't mind the darkening effect away from the subject. It sorts of pops the main subject into view, away from the background.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Yeah why? :confused:

OP, they look good as far as the capture and composition goes, but is it me or is there something about the overall color? Were these from a film scan or something?

err... it's a stylistic choice. The highlights are slightly yellowed and the shadows are cooled off with either blue or indigo. Sometimes a deep crimson or violet. As for the vignetting, I like the vignetting. I think it helps bring out the subject.

So, now we're critiquing comments? Geez...

I think she was saying "Yeah, why?" as in "why are you vignetting them?" :) Don't worry.

Anyway, a couple more. This guy won the whole thing, IIRC (like, overall in the events). This is the hot saw. Check out in the first image how he's making his third slice before the first two slices (they call them cookies) hit the ground.
hotSaw3.jpg

And here you can see the monster saw he was using. That thing could power a motorcycle.
hotSaw4.jpg

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Former boom running champion Jenny Atkinson and new champion Taylor Duffy.
boomRunners.jpg

Buck Saw
buckSaw1.jpg

buckSaw2.jpg

Underhand Chop
underhand1.jpg

underhand2.jpg

David Bolstad (Austria) accepts his medal for his fifth straight STIHL TIMBERSPORTS Pro Series title. (Awarded by the newly crowned Miss Georgia)
winnerAward.jpg

Bolstad speaking to ESPN
winnerESPN.jpg

Boom Running Champion Taylor Duffy congratulates Bolstad.
winnerHug.jpg

Miss Georgia with the winners of each category.
winners.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.