Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Hi,
Cutting my movie I faced some strange puzzling behavior to which I couldn't find any explanation (otherwise wouldn't come here): some transitions fail playing back unless you move the handler back and forth manually. I made a screen capture, see the embedded Youtube video: its first part is me moving the playback handler manually followed by an automatic playback. I must add the transition is acting nicely in other places on the timeline, and the clips are created of whole original videos, not split etc. In the case of automatic playing back the transition in trouble is skipped as if not being there at all. Why?
The link:

Update. I created a test project with just the two clips having that transition in-between. I noticed that when I'm trying to play the second clip Preview screen is absolutely black. The Source file (MP4) is playable in QTP X smoothly.

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Its been a while, but I've seen the same thing. If I recall correctly there was either an issue with one of the clips, like too short or video error, or there was a little gap between the clips in the time line (zoom way in to see). If I recall correctly, I either adjusted the clip or found a different clip or shortened one or the other. Rendering may have cleaned up on rare occasions. But its been awhile since I was faced with this issue.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Its been a while, but I've seen the same thing. If I recall correctly there was either an issue with one of the clips, like too short or video error, or there was a little gap between the clips in the time line (zoom way in to see). If I recall correctly, I either adjusted the clip or found a different clip or shortened one or the other. Rendering may have cleaned up on rare occasions. But its been awhile since I was faced with this issue.

I discovered that the solution can be either optimizing video with either of two given options ("Full res", "Large res") or re-importing without optimizing as the former creates in iMovie files of huge size (amounting to three digit figures denoting MB). I can't grasp why iMovie fails to import some source videos properly. Granted the total of the videos I imported for this project to be created equaled 83 items, but still. Even if it's not capable of achieving things on FCP scale the fact by no means implies it can't import whatever amount of videos I tell it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.