Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megalosaurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Hi!

Since there seems to be so many people in the know here I thought I'd see if this is something solvable.

I have a 15" retina, mid 2012, i7 with 16 gig of ram which by far is the best laptop I've ever had and it has been working like magic up to now, but in the past couple of months the apps have been freezing on me. Every third or fourth time I open a project in logic it gets stuck on the loading bar. Photoshop and Illustrator freezes up once in a while when trying to open a filter or save and sometimes even Finder freezes up when trying to do something in it. Once the program has frozen I can force quit it, but then it wont open again, it just get stuck bouncing up and down in the dock until I force quit again. When this has happened I have to turn the computer off by holding down the power button since the software shut down gets stuck as well.

Sorry for the long explanation, it's kind of a specific problem. So what do you guys think? Does it have to do something with the software or hardware?

Thanks in advance!
//Freddie

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Hi!

Since there seems to be so many people in the know here I thought I'd see if this is something solvable.

I have a 15" retina, mid 2012, i7 with 16 gig of ram which by far is the best laptop I've ever had and it has been working like magic up to now, but in the past couple of months the apps have been freezing on me. Every third or fourth time I open a project in logic it gets stuck on the loading bar. Photoshop and Illustrator freezes up once in a while when trying to open a filter or save and sometimes even Finder freezes up when trying to do something in it. Once the program has frozen I can force quit it, but then it wont open again, it just get stuck bouncing up and down in the dock until I force quit again. When this has happened I have to turn the computer off by holding down the power button since the software shut down gets stuck as well.

Sorry for the long explanation, it's kind of a specific problem. So what do you guys think? Does it have to do something with the software or hardware?

Thanks in advance!
//Freddie

I would do a full OS reinstall - backup your data, wipe the drive, reinstall macOS. Then see if the issue still happens.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you opened activity monitor and checked cpu and ram load?

Have you checked the cpu temps?

When was the last time you cleaned the dust out internally?

megalosaurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
I would do a full OS reinstall - backup your data, wipe the drive, reinstall macOS. Then see if the issue still happens.

Thanks for the advice, will try to see if it helps!

Have you opened activity monitor and checked cpu and ram load?

Have you checked the cpu temps?

When was the last time you cleaned the dust out internally?

To my knowledge it doesn't have anything to do with load since it can happen when almost nothing is running. I have not checked the temp, didn't even know you could do that in a mac!
It was in the shop about 1 and a half year ago, so I guess they cleaned it out, haven't ever opened it up myself tho. Might that be what's going on?
I checked the SSD with CleanMyMac which says it needs repair, but when I try to do it in Disk Utility it says everything is fine. Can it have something to do with that?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for the advice, will try to see if it helps!

To my knowledge it doesn't have anything to do with load since it can happen when almost nothing is running. I have not checked the temp, didn't even know you could do that in a mac!
It was in the shop about 1 and a half year ago, so I guess they cleaned it out, haven't ever opened it up myself tho. Might that be what's going on?
I checked the SSD with CleanMyMac which says it needs repair, but when I try to do it in Disk Utility it says everything is fine. Can it have something to do with that?

More likely that clean my Mac is causing it!! it is so pointless and resource hungry as to be considered malware by most of us.

megalosaurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
And here I was thinking it was great at keeping my mac in shape ^^ Will uninstall it then! Do you know of any good program for cleaning up space on the computer?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hi!

Thanks in advance!
//Freddie

How much free space do you have on the system drive?

Q-6

megalosaurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
How much free space do you have on the system drive?

Q-6
About 30 gig on a 249 ssd. Thinking about upgrading soon tho, have to throw away stuff every second month or so to keep this one usable.
Thanks for all the feedback btw, never seen such a helpful forum before!

Queen6

macrumors G4
About 30 gig on a 249 ssd. Thinking about upgrading soon tho, have to throw away stuff every second month or so to keep this one usable.
Thanks for all the feedback btw, never seen such a helpful forum before!

Should be enough, OS X can get quirky if disk space is low, try booting to Safe Mode and then restarting that often helps as it will clear out the caches etc. also reset the SMC. As stated uninstall Clean my Mac, better off with Cleaner etc, the former is rather intrusive.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Q-6

megalosaurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Should be enough, OS X can get quirky if disk space is low, try booting to Safe Mode and then restarting that often helps as it will clear out the caches etc. also reset the SMC. As stated uninstall Clean my Mac, better off with Cleaner etc, the former is rather intrusive.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Q-6
Clean my Mac is gone and a SMC is made! My macbook has been weird when starting up after being opened and been going to sleep randomly once in a while, so we'll se if that might have been it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.