Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterhpdx

macrumors member
Original poster
Installed Sonoma and updated to Safari 17 and all goes well - until I go to admin an open source software package I have, and Safari's broken. I'm working tag wrangling for a story archive, written in ruby on rails, and Safari is no longer painting screens the way they did prior to the upgrade. Not sure how far-spread this is, but it's definitely making me use Firefox instead of Safari (which I use 99% of the time).

Pre-upgrade painting looks like:
pre-update.png

And now post-upgrade painting looks like:
post-update.png

It looks like the field to fill out his there, just hidden under the second field. This is all I've noticed so far, but for me it's a massive bug.

edit: Forgot to add this is default Safari, no plugins, no add-ons, nothing. Vanilla Safari 17 out of the box.

walterhpdx

macrumors member
Original poster
Have you tried another user agent?
Change Advanced settings in Safari on Mac https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/ibrw1075/mac
Show features for web developers - Develop menu – User agent – Chrome macOS or Firefox macOS
Yep - tried those, and it still acts as broken.

I did just download Safari Technology Preview, and it's working in that version - so that's good. But standard Safari, nope.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
As you have both now, you could check if there is a difference in Feature Flags between Safari 17 and Safari Technology Preview.
Just as an example, in Safari 17.0 (17616.1.27.111.22, 17616) macOS 12.7 (21G816), the "HTML popover attribute" is not enabled, although it is marked as Stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.