Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Given the similar spec which DSLR would you go for?

• Sony A-100...All the way!

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Nikon D-80 for me!

Votes: 31 86.1%

• Total voters

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Ok here we go folks. Would you go for that Sony A-100 which came out last month with all the gizmos and er gimmiks or the Nikon D-80 which came out the other day. Something new or something tried and tested with solid history? Personally I'm thinking the A-100 but what say ye?:confused:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love the d80. I would prefer the d200 or d2x, but I can't justify the costs. I have scaled down my earnings from photography due to time and lack of drive, but the d80 was going to be a purchase I was willing to make today until I read this:

SD CARD

WTF? What in the hell is Nikon doing moving away from CF cards? It's like saying we'll have to buy new lenses if we ever step to the d200 or d2x. That is in fact the ONLY reason why I would NOT buy the d80. I plan for the future not for the now.

Sounds bad, but that's the truth.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
jessica. said:
but the d80 was going to be a purchase I was willing to make today until I read this:

SD CARD

WTF? What in the hell is Nikon doing moving away from CF cards? It's like saying we'll have to buy new lenses if we ever step to the d200 or d2x. That is in fact the ONLY reason why I would NOT buy the d80. I plan for the future not for the now.

I'm not trying to start anything but as a non CF card owner....what is the big deal. Can you not sell your CF card and purchase a 2gb card for $100. I know I know it's 100 bucks. But that seems like such a trivial thing to stop you from getting the D80. Am I way off track here? Or is there more to it then I understand. I'm just a noob to the DSLR arena.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I guess nikon went with the SD cards because:

1) Most people coming from P&S already have them
2) New SD cards can go up to 32gb
3) They are cheap
4) They are increasing their performance (D50 was tested at 3.68 mb/s write)

I think that the reason most PROS prefer CF is simply psycological (hey, it's bigger so it must be better!!!), seriously... If you really need the slight advantage in speed that CF canrds have at the moment over SD (I'm sure they'll catch up shortly) then you are not the D80s target market.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
maxi said:
I think that the reason most PROS prefer CF is simply psycological (hey, it's bigger so it must be better!!!), seriously... If you really need the slight advantage in speed that CF canrds have at the moment over SD (I'm sure they'll catch up shortly) then you are not the D80s target market.
I think so as well.

If you don't have much invested in memory cards (and most people don't), it's not so crazy to use SD cards. They're smaller and have high capacities as well. I don't think many people are going to "step up" from their DSLR to the D80. If you have a D70s, there isn't much point, and if you have the D50 like I do, it's generally good enough. I still think of the D80 as a kind of low level starter DSLR, and if you're starting out and don't have much invested in 1GB and 2GB cards, you can just start now and get all SD cards from now on.

And if you're moving from a small P&S, you can use your SD cards from most P&S cameras in their new DSLR. Again, not a big deal.

Plus, 1GB memory cards are so cheap nowadays that it's becoming a non-issue to switch.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
jessica. said:
I love the d80. I would prefer the d200 or d2x, but I can't justify the costs. I have scaled down my earnings from photography due to time and lack of drive, but the d80 was going to be a purchase I was willing to make today until I read this:

SD CARD

There was a time when it was a big deal but now, SD cards are reliable and it's a perfect step up for people who have been using SD cards in their Nikon point and shoot cameras.

As far these two choices of cameras, I'd have to say the D80 simply because Minolta wasn't that good and Sony is worse. Nikon sometimes makes mistakes but they're not as far off as some of Minolta's best efforts are.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
LOL @ people being cheap with memory cards and wanting to use their old ones.

Remember film? Not reusable, $7 a roll? 36 pictures per roll, no redos? I think a new memory card isn't that big an expense with that perspective.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I hesitate to switch to Sony because I like being able to stabilize any lens, but
would still want stabilized lenses to be developed, as that might work better than than moving the sensor.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
bousozoku said:
As far these two choices of cameras, I'd have to say the D80 simply because Minolta wasn't that good and Sony is worse.

Sony isn't that bad, and word is that the Alpha 100 is the best, or one of the best DSLRs in it's price class. I forgot where I read that, but there was a link posted.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
cube said:
I hesitate to switch to Sony because I like being able to stabilize any lens, but
would still want stabilized lenses to be developed, as that might work better than than moving the sensor.

I have heard wonderful things about the new Alpha. However, when it comes to cameras....IMO....it comes down to two brands. Nikon and Canon. And there is something about the feel of a Nikon that just makes sense. Just like my Mac....to me it just makes sense.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Nikon.

The camera body is only part of a complete camera system. As of right now, Sony is very lacking in the lenses and accesories.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
macdaddy121 said:
And there is something about the feel of a Nikon that just makes sense. Just like my Mac....to me it just makes sense.

Have you used a Sony? I haven't, but I can't imagine it being any worse than holding an Olympus or Canon. It's supposed to be quite good ergonomically, although I don't know what to think about that top left dial (when looking at the A100 from the back). Again, I hear it's good.

And while everyone who says Sony's camera doesn't have as many lens options, I'd guess that in the next 1-2 years, you're going to have all the lenses that you want. I mean, if Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina start making lenses for the alpha mount or whatever it's called, and Sony/Zeiss/Minolta continue making lenses for Sony, then they really are covered.

I really don't think Sony is going to be out of the DSLR game any time soon, and I'd even guess that their lens lineup will be good enough for you to get the lenses you want, along with accessories in about 2 years.

However, there currently isn't a lot out there for Sony, but I think by Christmas time, we'll see lots of accessories and maybe a few more lenses.

And if their camera is competitive with Canon or Nikon, I'd say they have a good chance of being bigger than Pentax and Olympus faster than you'd think. The only thing that'll keep Pentax alive in 10 years is their deal with Samsung.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Abstract said:
Have you used a Sony? I haven't, but I can't imagine it being any worse than holding an Olympus or Canon. It's supposed to be quite good ergonomically, although I don't know what to think about that top left dial (when looking at the A100 from the back). Again, I hear it's good.

And while everyone who says Sony's camera doesn't have as many lens options, I'd guess that in the next 1-2 years, you're going to have all the lenses that you want. I mean, if Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina start making lenses for the alpha mount or whatever it's called, and Sony/Zeiss/Minolta continue making lenses for Sony, then they really are covered.

I really don't think Sony is going to be out of the DSLR game any time soon, and I'd even guess that their lens lineup will be good enough for you to get the lenses you want, along with accessories in about 2 years.

However, there currently isn't a lot out there for Sony, but I think by Christmas time, we'll see lots of accessories and maybe a few more lenses.

And if their camera is competitive with Canon or Nikon, I'd say they have a good chance of being bigger than Pentax and Olympus faster than you'd think. The only thing that'll keep Pentax alive in 10 years is their deal with Samsung.

I've used a Sony Alpha very breifly and did not like the feel of it at all. Then again, being used to the Nikon D2 series probably makes me a little biased. The problem I have when deciding what to buy right now is that there is basically nothing for Sony. No reliability reports because it hasn't been out for long enough. It hasn't been used enough to report on long term issues, quirks, or other oddities about the camera, lenses, and accesorries. I know what is going on with Nikon right now except the new body. One can make an assumption on the body based on past history. I would rather take a risk with an unkown camera with a known company rather than an unknown camera with a "predicted" future.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
well, i have the a100. i like the handling but then i had minolta slr's before so i'm used to them.
i liked the overall package of the sony with the antishake. the picture quality is good, the noise acceptable to me. there is nothing really outstanding in the camera (like canons low noise). it's just a good package for the price.

the software toy's in the nikon like overlay of three shots is not important. you can do that in PP later.

what is most important is that with nikon you buy a system with many lenses available and lots of third party stuff. sony in the moment is not very well supported by sigma with lenses.

try both cameras and buy what gives you the best handling. all cameras at that price are good but not excellent. not too much difference there. handling and available lenses should be the criteria.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What lenses are available for the A100, how any other bodies are there that will work with the Sony system. Will Sony even be inthe SLR market in 15 years? If they are will Sony change the lens mount like Minolta and Canon did. Does Sony make a film body and what about Sony lighting or strobes?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
ChrisA said:
What lenses are available for the A100, how any other bodies are there that will work with the Sony system. Will Sony even be inthe SLR market in 15 years? If they are will Sony change the lens mount like Minolta and Canon did. Does Sony make a film body and what about Sony lighting or strobes?

15 years? are you dreaming? we don't even know if canon, nikon, apple or GM are around in 15 years. and even if then they will change their mounts.

if i get the feeling sony is serious about dslr for the next three years then i'll invest in a couple of good lenses and flashes. right now i see my sony as an all around beginner system for me that needs only a few more parts. then i'll wait for a while and see if i stick with sony or move on to something else.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Abstract said:
Sony isn't that bad, and word is that the Alpha 100 is the best, or one of the best DSLRs in it's price class. I forgot where I read that, but there was a link posted.

It could be the best and in 2-3 months, it will be overtaken, and it will drift back into the shadows the way Minolta products have been for years.

Sony isn't that bad and Sony isn't that good. They had a vision, now, they seem to be without any.

ChrisA said:

Sony has Minolta's SLR business so they have plenty of what they need in all categories. It's what they do with them that makes the difference.

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
D80 for me.

1. I'm experienced with Nikons (used them all my life)
2. Replacing my D100 (keep all my lenses)
3. SD memory is cheap (Can sell my CF with the D100)
4. Better a product from a company you trust than a product from a company that might decided to "exit" the market in a few years leaving you stuck. (Remember Sony has been in and out of so many different markets, so there is background for them to exit later on) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.