Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Well I am in the market for a new camera and walked buy the sony store in Singapore today and saw this camera, Alpha 700. It had just arrived about an hour before. All I can say is wow. It blows my Olympus e500 outa da water. Does anyone have any hands on experience with it?? Is it available in the states?

Thanks

Jonathan

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
You might want to wait there there are some reviews of it. Taking from the release of the Canon XTi, Nikon D80 and Sony A100 a little over a year ago, the A100 was the redhead stepchild of the 3. Although each of those cameras used the same (oddly enough Sony sensor) the noise performance of the Canon and Nikon stomped on the Sony A100, quite stockily bad in fact.. Considering how good the XTi and D80 performed with ISO 800 and above. The A100 also suffered highly in speed and features compared to Nikon and Canons offerings.

Not really sure how much money the A700 is going to be, but it looks like it has the same sensor as the Nikon D300 so it's probably gonna be a prosumer market camera. Taking from what I've seen the D300 offer, I am not sure this new Sony DSLR will be able to match it.

It is nice to finally see Sony start stepping away from their proprietary MemoryStick, although still used on the A700 they added a CF card slot too. Wise choice sony, nobody likes MemoryStick. Looking at the preview for this thing I also noticed it only has 11 point AF, which is far behind Canon and Nikons new offerings, (Nikon having 51 point AF)

I'm not saying the A700 is going to be a bad camera, but Sony has a tendency to let the market down. If it's around the $1700 USD range it has no chance in my honest opinion up against the Nikon D300, and then again if it's in the $1300-1400 I also believe it has no chance against the new Canon 40D although the 40D has 2 less MP is looking to be a better camera.

EDIT: Since typing this I have found out it goes for about $1500 USD. Which falls right in between two of Canon and Nikons best offerings right now. Unless it's magically $200 better than the 40D, I think this is just another bad Sony purchase.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Well I am in the market for a new camera and walked buy the sony store in Singapore today and saw this camera, Alpha 700. It had just arrived about an hour before. All I can say is wow. It blows my Olympus e500 outa da water. Does anyone have any hands on experience with it?? Is it available in the states?

Thanks

Jonathan

popular photography has a review of it comparing it to the Nikon and Canon offerings in a similar price range. It compared favorably, with some advantages adn some disadvantages.

I've been a Minolta user for years, and it seems that the Sony Alphas have continued the minolta tradition of innovation quite capably.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
the a700 is well recieved by a lot of people. noise seems not to be a big problem. lenses from sony tend to be expensive. best is to wait for good reviews on dpreview.com and user experience on shootalpha.com.

in the end you have to decide if you like the whole package and especially the handling. if you don't like the handling of a camera you miss a lot of shots regardless how good the spec's of the sensor are.

the above posters pretend to have good knowledge. it's just that canon and sony don't have the same sensor and the price for the sony is known already for weeks now...........
it's hard to get unbiased opinions in the dslr field. too many people like only their brand. i happen to like sony. so best is wait for the reviews, try the camera in a shop and make up your own mind.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
I love this forums moronic posts.

How do you figure DSLR is any different then anything else, there is always going to biased opinions between everything, Do your research before running your mouth.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
My father in law has been using the Sony A100 since last Christmas and he seems to be very happy with its results. He's getting lots of keepers and doesn't know anything about photography... the newer improved version is sure to please a lot of buyers as well. Decent range of inexpensive lenses to add to the collection also.

Rev, have you ever held anything in your hands besides a nikon?
Do you even own an slr?;)

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Rev, have you ever held anything in your hands besides a nikon?
Do you even own an slr?;)

He's the definition of fanboy douche. Look at how he trashed the Olympus in the other thread.

I'm a Canon shooter and I don't care what anyone decides to shoot with. It's just a tool and whatever makes the images is fine with me.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I think some people feel threatened by any new product that may offer a better feature at a better price point than what they currently own... to the point of obsession with downing any possiblity that it may actually be a useful tool.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.