Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PodHead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Boise, ID
With Nikons and Canons reigning supreme on the threads, where my Alpha users at? I'm very interested in this camera and would like to take my point-and shoot game to the next level. This isn't a lame "should I pick apples or oranges" thread. I've researched this camera and I'm pretty set on it. Just wanted to hear how it functions in the real world from other pros or hobbyist.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
With Nikons and Canons reigning supreme on the threads, where my Alpha users at? I'm very interested in this camera and would like to take my point-and shoot game to the next level. This isn't a lame "should I pick apples or oranges" thread. I've researched this camera and I'm pretty set on it. Just wanted to hear how it functions in the real world from other pros or hobbyist.

I thought about getting the Alpha, but seeing image comparisons with Canons and Nikons it has quite a lot of noise.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Having some firsthand knowledge about the ads for the Alpha, I guess I can say that we've done a good job, because you're quoting the material ("take your photography to the next level") as if it were your own.

In any case, the Alpha does have a lot of image noise at high ISOs. Because the sensors in some other DSLRs (*cough* Nikon) are manufactured by Sony, you might run into this problem in other cameras, too -- which isn't to say that high ISO image noise isn't a problem in most DSLRs, regardless of who makes their sensors. The Alpha is still a very good camera, and it remains competitive in terms of both price and features (image stabilization and anti-dust, for example) because Sony are trying to position themselves as a strong contender in a market dominated by Canon and Nikon. For those reasons, the Alpha has won a lot of awards and made some "best of 2006" lists on digital photography websites. And rightly so.

Personally, I'm eyeing the new K10D from Pentax. It has all the features the Alpha has as well as weather-resistant seals, and it's compatible with every Pentax lens from the past six decades or so. It's a bit pricier, I think, but the price should fall after Christmas when the shopping rush is over and the K10D no longer seems brand new. (It was released in October.) I'm a bit like you, though, in that I've got my mind set on it, and it'll take a swath of really negative reviews to get me to start doubting. A lot of "experts" have been only mildly excited about it in testing, but user reviews seem to think it embodies perfection.

Have you checked out DPReview.com and Alatest.com? They might give you a bit more of the reinforcement (or dissuading) you're looking for.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
i own an alpha.

Tested the alpha 400d and the d80.

Steadyshot and useability made me get the alpha, feels good in the hand.
Didnt like the 400d at all felt bad in my hand, the d80 however is a good camera... was very close but it cost more at the time.

Very happy with it, no problems, noise is an issue at 800,1600 but only in very low light. Good think is there is a TON of KM lenses that are very good for very cheap!

PodHead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Boise, ID
Having some firsthand knowledge about the ads for the Alpha, I guess I can say that we've done a good job, because you're quoting the material ("take your photography to the next level") as if it were your own.

In any case, the Alpha does have a lot of image noise at high ISOs. Because the sensors in some other DSLRs (*cough* Nikon) are manufactured by Sony, you might run into this problem in other cameras, too -- which isn't to say that high ISO image noise isn't a problem in most DSLRs, regardless of who makes their sensors. The Alpha is still a very good camera, and it remains competitive in terms of both price and features (image stabilization and anti-dust, for example) because Sony are trying to position themselves as a strong contender in a market dominated by Canon and Nikon. For those reasons, the Alpha has won a lot of awards and made some "best of 2006" lists on digital photography websites. And rightly so.

Personally, I'm eyeing the new K10D from Pentax. It has all the features the Alpha has as well as weather-resistant seals, and it's compatible with every Pentax lens from the past six decades or so. It's a bit pricier, I think, but the price should fall after Christmas when the shopping rush is over and the K10D no longer seems brand new. (It was released in October.) I'm a bit like you, though, in that I've got my mind set on it, and it'll take a swath of really negative reviews to get me to start doubting. A lot of "experts" have been only mildly excited about it in testing, but user reviews seem to think it embodies perfection.

Have you checked out DPReview.com and Alatest.com? They might give you a bit more of the reinforcement (or dissuading) you're looking for.

Funny how those marketing jingles get in your head and you use them without even realizing it sometimes.:D

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Being a Nikon guy:
If you just want to step up from a p&s, then the D40 is cheaper and offers practically everything you'd want on a camera (auto iso is amazing).
If you are interested in "features" and plan to spend a lot of money in lenses, then the D80 is (IMO) a better choice.

If you'd rather have canon, then replace the D40 above with a Rebell and the D80 with a 30D.
Don't underestimate the catalogue of lenses these 2 companies have.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Recomending the D40 because of Nikon's lens catalog makes little sense.

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006

Right on.

Only the DX lenses will work on the D40. You have to go to the D50 to use all of Nikon's lenses. IMO, the D40 isn't something I would recommend anyway. Sure it has a larger LCD but for the money, the D50 is a better buy. Better focus system and the rest of the Nikon lenses is enough proof. Also, the D40 doesn't have the LCD on the top to show your current camera settings and battery life.

I'm not a fan of the Sony dSLR. It feels cheap. If you are sold on image stabilization go with the Pentax K100D. Also, being Sony's first attempt at a dSLR, I am staying away from it. All this is my opinion of course. I get to play around with all of these cameras on a daily basis.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina

That's why I recommended the D80 because of Nikon's lens catalogue.

I don't really think that someone just wanting to step up for a p&s would care to buy a lens like 28-70 f:2.8 or the 105DC (some favorites of mine that cost more than twice the price of a D40).

There's a market for everything, if you want to recommend a 1d MkII to a beginner, then go ahead... but since digital photography began, people started to think that by spending thousands of dollars more in a camera then can actually take better pictures. Both the D40 and the Rebel are amazing cameras for people wanting to upgrade from a p&s. And I will recommend either of them over the Alpha any day, there's no way to overgrow a Nikon or Canon set up.

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
May 22, 2006
I bought an alpha in October, and really love it. Before I bought it, I borrowed my friend's Rebel XT for a week, and I must say that I enjoy my alpha much more. It feels so much more natural to me, and takes wonderful pictures. The stabilization and anti-dust are great features as well. The battery is terrific on it, I average 1200 shots on a single charge. If you'd like to know any more, just send me a PM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.