Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
U.S.
Does anyone know anything about the "pro" model of the Sony Alpha that is supposedly going to be released? If so, what will it be like? I have an Alpha already, but it would be nice to see Sony invest more in the line before buying any really expensive glass.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Nothing Concrete is known yet however the rumour mill is busy pumping out ideas like Full frame etc.

One model has been promised for towards the end of the year and the other was slated for 08.

I am in the same boat as you as i wish to buy the 70-200 SSM as ive heard some awsome hands on testing reviews but i need more than the a100 can give me (more than a low end DSLR can give me to be fair).

I setup a forum for all alpha users to discuss things like this if you wanted to take a look http://www.shootalpha.com

Also a direct link to some pics of the new models.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I'm sorry to say it, but those new models are pretty ugly. The current Alpha model isn't too bad, but I'm not a fan of the new ones. Also, those grips look really big!

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Yea i agree with you,

They were only wooden moulds though, the finished product is meant to look more refined...

Link

There is a good quality supposed release photo from sony where they do look better but i cannot for the life of me find the link!

gphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
U.S.
Thanks for the links. Do you know what lens is on the camera? It looks like a pro lens of some sort, but I have not ever seen it before.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Yea i agree with you,

They were only wooden moulds though, the finished product is meant to look more refined...

Link

There is a good quality supposed release photo from sony where they do look better but i cannot for the life of me find the link!

Oh those look much better. I'm still not feeling the triangular flash bracket on the pro model, but all in all they're a lot nicer than the wooden mock-ups.

gphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
U.S.
How do the top-of-the-line Sony lenses compare with the Canon and Nikon pro lenses? What sort of quality does the 70-200mm have compared to the 70-200mm f2.8L lens by canon?

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Very well actually,

The sony glass is essentially still minolta design and they have some brilliant lenses. The 70-200 in particular leads the class according to some reviews ive seen (im sure there are reviews to the contrary dont flame me) it is a very very good performer.

The only let down of the current sony pro lenses is they are very low numbers of production as they havent released there first pro cameras yet so because of this the lens prices are very high for the time being compared to say the cannon version.

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.