Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman3029

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
Hello all, I'm facing a decision on what model point and shoot I am going to buy and just need a bit of help with my decision, and I figured that the friendly folks on Macrumours could help.

I'm a student in high school now, and have been living with out a point in shoot for about a year now. My previous camera, a Canon "Digital Elph" finally died after 3 years of loyal service last summer, and now I need to replace it.

My list of must-have's for my new camera include, but are not limited to, a camera with at least 10 Megapixels, able to take good pictures in low-light situations without a flash, able to capture fast movements, and it should have a nice design, metal preferably. I am willing to spend up to about 300 dollars. (Basically I need a camera that will take great photos of me and my crazy friends, who seem to never stand still! Also, I am going to New York this summer, and want a camera that won't cause me to stand in the middle of the street just to get a blur-free shot, if that makes sense.)

Also, I often use a Nikon D60 at school, and love the manual control. Though I would not use them in most pictures, being able to control the focus, F-stop, and exposure would be nice bonuses.

After looking over the latest issue of "Consumer Reports," and researching cameras on Cnet, I have narrowed my decision down to four cameras, but I think there are only two real contenders.

Here are the cameras, including pros and cons, that I am considering:

Canon PowerShot SD880 IS Elph
Pros:
-Nice looking design
-Easy to use menu
-Had a Elph before
-Vibrant colors
-Wide 28-112mm lens (rare in subcompacts?)
-4x Optical Zoom

Cons:
-Only 10 Megapixels (is there really a huge difference between 10MP and 12MP?)
-A lot of fringing in high contrast areas

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Pros:
-Solid Metal Design
-Already have two 8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo cards
-Lower price than the Canon
-12MP

Cons:
-Colors not as vivid
-Optical Zoom 3X
-Metal ridges on front collect dirt

I was also considering the Sony DSC-W230 and DSC-W300

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
I bought the Canon , SD880. I've been very pleased !! sometimes I wish I had spent more to get the G10, but for about half the price, the SD880 does amazingly well - even on landscapes. all of these shots are taken on the SD880.
http://www.flickr.com/qveda/sets

btw, on these point & shooters, the sensors are so small, that 10 vs 12mpixels should not be your deciding factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.