Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
So I have a couple of questions about the Sony DSCW50 Cybershot camera if anyone has any knowledge of this (or similar camera). I hope to buy this camera within a few days.

I have an older cybershot DSC S75that takes movies but I have not been able to import them into iMovie. Does anyone know- will the movies that the DSCW50 takes import into iMovie? Do I need to buy software to do that? What is the quality of the movies. (the quality on my older DSC S75 movies is not that good of course- will the new ones be better quality so I could post them using iWeb for the grandparents?)

Second part- a reviewer at Amazon stated there is an issue with this particular camera and using the Memory Stick PRO duo cards- they claimed sony knew of the problem- I have contacted Sony and not heard back yet and can't find anything on their web page to state this- does anyone here have this exact camera model DSCW50 and use the PRO memory sticks?

Any information will be appreciated!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
most P&S cameras take movies in a "muxed" MPEG mode that isn't easily edited with software. Clips can often be positioned (one after another) but editing the actual footage is very difficult b/c of the file format.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
carletonmusic said:
most P&S cameras take movies in a "muxed" MPEG mode that isn't easily edited with software. Clips can often be positioned (one after another) but editing the actual footage is very difficult b/c of the file format.

I figured that but I simply want to post the video I take on the web- don't care if it is something fancy- I will work towards buying a new video camera where I can do that.

This is what it says about movie mode on the camera: VGA movie mode (640 x 480) allows videos with sound, limited only by memory-card capacity MPEG Movie VX Fine Mode
The DSC-W50 can capture VGA (640 x 480) audio-video clips at high frame rate (up to 30 frames per second), with length limited only by the capacity of your media.

Anyone else have input???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.