Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theRansoms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Dubai
Hello all.

I am struggling with the HomeKit integration of my new Sony TV. I can see the TV in HomeKit without issue however, I am only seeing the power switch and the channel selector. Please see attached images.

I was expecting to see more controls than this, such as volume, input, mute, etc. Are my expectations too high?

I changed my TV to Sony purely for the HomeKit integration as I was struggling to get volume control for my previous TV using the BroadLink RM4 with HomeBridge, but as I am no programmer, the results were sketchy to say the least!

It is more than possible I am doing something wrong but all of my other HomeKit devices; Hue bulbs, LIFX bulbs, HomePod(s), Apple TV, Tradfri bulbs/sensors, Fibaro sensors, Eufy cameras, etc all work fine!

Any ideas on how to fault find and verify, would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0857 2.PNG
    IMG_0857 2.PNG
    491.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_0858 2.PNG
    IMG_0858 2.PNG
    699.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0859.PNG
    IMG_0859.PNG
    744.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
that's about all there is in homekit
you have input, it's what's listed under the power button in the first image.
if you want to rename, you can do in in the input list at the top of your third image.

if you launch the remote from the command center, you should see your TV in devices
that will give you some more buttons, just basic navigation though.
when that is open, the volume buttons on your phone will control the TV.

In your third pic the "view tv settings" button should bring up the settings menu on the TV, you then have to use the remote in control center to navigate.

nothing to fault find, working as expected.

theRansoms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Dubai
that's about all there is in homekit
you have input, it's what's listed under the power button in the first image.
if you want to rename, you can do in in the input list at the top of your third image.

if you launch the remote from the command center, you should see your TV in devices
that will give you some more buttons, just basic navigation though.
when that is open, the volume buttons on your phone will control the TV.

In your third pic the "view tv settings" button should bring up the settings menu on the TV, you then have to use the remote in control center to navigate.

nothing to fault find, working as expected.
Thanks @waw74

That is what i was afraid of :)

I thought at least i would get mute/volume controls as well as power/input. A bit frustrating but it is what it is. I have a workaround with Homebridge but as i said, that has its own challenges.

Do you know if there is any other way to get volume control via Siri?

Thanks in advance.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks @waw74

That is what i was afraid of :)

I thought at least i would get mute/volume controls as well as power/input. A bit frustrating but it is what it is. I have a workaround with Homebridge but as i said, that has its own challenges.

Do you know if there is any other way to get volume control via Siri?

Thanks in advance.
Same controls as my HomeKit Vizio TVs. As waw stated, that’s all you get, unfortunately. Not sure if you can get Siri volume control if it’s just the TV. I have my Vizio’s all connected to an AppleTV which are default connected to HomePods for audio. I can do Siri Voice control this way. I haven’t tried AirPlaying the Vizio’s direct to a HomePod though. At the very least though, you might be able to do volume control with your phone and the remote app. If you pull down on Control Center and click on the remote control tile, then select the Sony TV, you should be able to use the volume buttons on your iPhone to control the TV’s volume. Probably redundant since the Sony TV likely has its own remote control app anyway.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
yeah, there is no integration with the SonyTV (I have a 2020 Bravia) and Siri is limited to power, input. NO conrtrol of channel, vol, app select. Ive been trying to customize with Homebridge and HomeKit etc with no luck.

Hopefully, later this year when the 'standardized home integration' (, Amzon, Google, Sony, Samsung, etc) goes thru maybe we'll get more options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.