Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akarshbadami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Hi Guys,

Can anyone please help me decide on what compact digital camera to buy between a Sony and a Canon. to be precise a Sony W270 and a Canon IXUS 110is. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Akarsh

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well this is just my personal opinion but to me, Sony PnS is more of style over function while Canon PnS is more of function over style. Just my op. Oh and Sony loves touch touch PnS while Canon still sticks to buttons

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm a huge fan of the sony P&S cameras, my wife is a Nikon and Pentax fanatic (she's a pro photographer) but even she admits that the Sony's are the best. before I knew this, I set out to surprise her with a new P&S for her purse, knowing she was a Nikon girl I set out for a Nikon; the shop I went to is the local professional outlet (fancy place selling Canon, Nikon, Leica, Olympus and Hassie rigs; along with all the high end multi-thousand-dollar printing equipment you could ever want), the salesman took me aside and mentioned that in reality he'd tell me to buy a Sony for a P&S if it were up to him, but they didn't carry that brand there.

With that said, I'm not going to go as far as to say that there's a world of difference between comparably featured Canons and Sony's, really it's up to what you seem to like better in the end.

SLC

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
I'd take the Canon because you don't have to buy the pricy Sony Memory sticks. You can find the SD cards so much cheaper and if you need extras, you can find them everywhere.

Also, consider that if your battery on the Sony goes dead, you are screwed for hours while it charges, or you can pay $50 for a spare battery to carry around. With the Canon, just buy a couple of AAs at any drugstore or souvenir stand for a temporary solution. I use rechargeable AAs.

That said, I have one of the predecessors to the SX10 IS, (not the SX110 IS). It's just a little more $$$ than the one you are considering. It's a little bulkier because it uses 4 AA batteries, but I have NEVER run out of power while out. It also gets you a bigger lens and a viewfinder - I really hate the little LCD screens for everyday use. The screen turns around and folds up, too.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Also, consider that if your battery on the Sony goes dead, you are screwed for hours while it charges, or you can pay $50 for a spare battery to carry around. With the Canon, just buy a couple of AAs at any drugstore or souvenir stand for a temporary solution. I use rechargeable AAs.

According to THIS photo, the Canon 110 IS uses a Canon battery, not AAs.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I've owned a bunch of different brand pocket cameras, and I must say, I do prefer Canons for pocket cameras. Sonys aren't too bad, but I HATE the interface and Memory Stick bugs me.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Personally, I like shooting with Canon PnS a lot better than Sony. Flash recharge time on Sony is noticeably longer and the whole camera shuts off while it is recharging so you can't even review the shot you just took. Both take remarkably good pictures (if you catch the shot, the delay from button press to shutter release seems to be about the same and both bad). There is very little right or wrong with most cameras these days, most of it comes down to personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.