Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
So on my XTi, the little flet piece on the inside I have just discovered that it is torn :mad: Can this be replaced under my warranty with Canon????

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Sorry.... felt* It is the thing just above where the lens is placed in.

I still have no idea what you're referring to, but my suggestion is that you call Canon themselves, since obviously it doesn't matter if we think they should replace it or not - ultimately, they are the ones to decide.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
In an attempt to help I've taken a picture of mine and highlighted the part I think you are talking about. It's attached to this post. My question would be (assuming I have the correct part) how did this get damaged. Canon only warrantee the product for defects in workmanship and manufacture. If you damaged this then that is not covered. They may choose to help you out of of kindness or goodwill but they certainly don't have to.

Attachments

• XTi.jpg
    XTi.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 100

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm not trying to bump but I'm in a panic cause it is brand new!! Does anyone have any thoughts?

You are going to have to be a bit more descriptive. No one knows part you are referring to. Can you post a picture? Doesn't Canon have a costomer service phone number? Give them a call

In an attempt to help I've taken a picture of mine and highlighted the part I think you are talking about. It's attached to this post. My question would be (assuming I have the correct part) how did this get damaged. Canon only warrantee the product for defects in workmanship and manufacture. If you damaged this then that is not covered. They may choose to help you out of of kindness or goodwill but they certainly don't have to.

I'd call that part a "bummper" or "pad" for the reflex mirror shock absorber. It's the thing the mirror crashes into whaen it lifts up. The glue could be defective. Would be an easy repair but if the camera is new have then replace the camera.

Many stores have something like a 30 day exchange and after that you deal with the manufacturer. I'd get it excanges if you can.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'd call that part a "bummper" or "pad" for the reflex mirror shock absorber. It's the thing the mirror crashes into whaen it lifts up. The glue could be defective. Would be an easy repair but if the camera is new have then replace the camera.

Many stores have something like a 30 day exchange and after that you deal with the manufacturer. I'd get it excanges if you can.

That's great news. Remember though I bought it over seas. It is on the Princes Cruises protected stores list which means it is gauraunteed by the ship for 30 days. Could I just get a new camera here in Canada using the international warranty? Or will the store just repair ir. Also are most stores nice enough to clean it out when my camera is there? I have dust that is like caked on and won't come off.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
That's great news. Remember though I bought it over seas. It is on the Princes Cruises protected stores list which means it is gauraunteed by the ship for 30 days. Could I just get a new camera here in Canada using the international warranty? Or will the store just repair ir. Also are most stores nice enough to clean it out when my camera is there? I have dust that is like caked on and won't come off.

Its new and you have caked on dust? huh? That makes no sense.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I suggest you put everything back in the box and do something without technology. You seem to have problems with it.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I suggest you put everything back in the box and do something without technology. You seem to have problems with it.

Yes, because everyone else here instantly mastered all technology the first time they were exposed to it. :rolleyes:

I will say that, if it were me, I'd get my $800 back from the store, and spend a bit more to buy the Digital Rebel from a more reputable dealer next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.