Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Install a Filter on the lens?

I can't find it in the manual, and I can't find anything online.

I'm kind of a DSLR newbie, so forgive me :)

any help would be appreciated.

It's a 58mm UV Filter, wanting to install on my new Rebel XSi with the 18-55mm IS Kit Lens.

Thanks in advance!!

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
It should screw right onto the end of the lens without the hood on the lens.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's a 58mm UV Filter, wanting to install on my new Rebel XSi with the 18-55mm IS Kit Lens.

Notice that the end of the lens, with the lens hood and lens cap removed has female threads, Notice that the filters has both male and female threads, one set on each side.
The threads on the filter should thread into the ones on the lens.

But why would you want to do this? Is the filter good enough quality that it will not degrade the quality of the lens? Likely if it came as part of a kit it is of only "fair" quality at best. The filter offer zero protection from the most likely mishap - impact damage to the lens.

It is good to use a filter it you are around salt water spray or other stuff that flies through the air and sticks to the glass. Because then you can replace the filter rather then clean the lens. But if you are not in that environment you are best off not using a cheap filter. Good filter do not have much bad effeect on the image but cost half as much as the tpical kit lens.

Jan 30, 2006
Good filter do not have much bad effeect on the image but cost half as much as the tpical kit lens.

Just curious, which filter are the "good" ones? (i.e. what brand).

I currently have a Vivitar Skylight 1A in front of my lens to protect it from eventual scratches. It is a macro lens, so it comes pretty close to my subject many times. Is this filter any good?

EDIT: The filter isn't mine, (from my dad), so I have no idea how much it cost.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Just curious, which filter are the "good" ones? (i.e. what brand).

I currently have a Vivitar Skylight 1A in front of my lens to protect it from eventual scratches. It is a macro lens, so it comes pretty close to my subject many times. Is this filter any good?

EDIT: The filter isn't mine, (from my dad), so I have no idea how much it cost.

B+W filters are regarded as some of the best, but you'll definitely pay for it. I just buy Hoya. They're a pretty good quality and a fair price.

The skylight isn't as good as a protector as a UV or ultraclear, as it has a gentle warm tint and can degrade your colour accuracy. Your AWB settings can account for it, but not 100%.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
B+H and Hoya filters are two of the best. Whatever you do, don't over-tighten the filter in place. Just "snugly" tightened.

Also, most UV filters are a waste of money, unless you use one to protect the front glass from sand, dust, water splashes, and so fort. UV filters also increase the likelihood of creating glare, specially low quality ones, or when used on super-wide lenses. A lens hood is most times the best protector against front impact on the front glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.