Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max Black

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
I noticed every time that I wake up the computer or restart, whatever Sound Output that I had chosen keeps reverting back to Headphone out. I don’t do much restarts but waking up from sleep mode is quite regular and I have to change it back to whatever I had, either Display port etc, but if the installed Audio Card in the Pcie slot is selected when I put the computer to sleep or restart, then the sound output stays on the card. Is there a fix for this ?

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 1.png
    1.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 105

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I would first make a deep nvram reset (4 times in a row)

if that wont help install a new test system on a spare disk to check if thats hard or software.

Max Black

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
I would first make a deep nvram reset (4 times in a row)

if that wont help install a new test system on a spare disk to check if thats hard or software.
I did all the above and again it shifts back to headphone output. Any other thoughts ? If it the hardware, what would be the fix on it ?

Max Black

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
soundflower is a driver? same behaviour without it?
I don't know what SoundFlower is, I got this computer from a friend who does not know anything about computers, it was sitting in a box for over 2 years, running great except for this audio issue. Is there a way to remove soundflower?

Gonzbull

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2015
Hi, have you tried going into Audio/MIDI app in Utilities? Select your audio output in there.

Max Black

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
Hi, have you tried going into Audio/MIDI app in Utilities? Select your audio output in there.
Yes, I have tried that several time no luck, gone try the safe boot shortly and see how that goes, appreciate all the help, seriously Great Forum.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Remove Soundflower. It's a long-abandoned audio extension thing that would route the computer's audio output back through itself for recording sound from apps without extra hardware. Hard to explain, but it's been known to cause issues and development stopped before even macOS 10.10.

Max Black

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
Remove Soundflower. It's a long-abandoned audio extension thing that would route the computer's audio output back through itself for recording sound from apps without extra hardware. Hard to explain, but it's been known to cause issues and development stopped before even macOS 10.10.
I did stumble on that idea as my other Mac Pro did not have this extension, how do I remove that extension, Thank You.

Max Black

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
Removed Sounflower extension still same problem. Now I can not put the computer to sleep mode, this happened before when I switched to Nvme 2 SSD but after couple of weeks it started working. I have tried over 10 times no luck.

I can also report that I have the same system set up on SSD SATA drive and it does not switch back to Headphone output after the extension and nvram reset, but now I can not put that SSD system into sleep mode right away, it took about 5 times.

permanentmacdabbler

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
It could be a corrupt NVRAM. If settings stored in the NVRAM won't stick or carry over between restarts etc it sounds like the rom can't store anything anymore which can seem like it's reset itself every boot.

Max Black

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
It could be a corrupt NVRAM. If settings stored in the NVRAM won't stick or carry over between restarts etc it sounds like the rom can't store anything anymore which can seem like it's reset itself every boot.
It is a Samsung SSD 970 Pro 512gb just got it less than 2 months ago, speeds are great, everything has been good so far except for this, DriveDx report is good as well. Sleep is now back to working again but again Audio Output gets switched from Display output, I have also made the Display Output as default in Audio Midi Set up, still no luck.

permanentmacdabbler

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
It is a Samsung SSD 970 Pro 512gb just got it less than 2 months ago, speeds are great, everything has been good so far except for this, DriveDx report is good as well. Sleep is now back to working again but again Audio Output gets switched from Display output, I have also made the Display Output as default in Audio Midi Set up, still no luck.
NVRAM isn't stored on the internal drive or anything easily accessed unfortunately. It's a boot rom thing which I learned about the hard way recently. The chip that holds the boot rom stores NVRAM settings and in a 4,1 the amount of space available is so small it gets full very quickly. If it then corrupts it can't rewrite or change any more settings. Best check out the boot rom thread and if possible dump your rom as soon as possible and should be someone who will take a look at it for you see if it needs any help.

Max Black

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
Don't know what you mean by "dump your rom", if you can clarify, I have read the threads but will do again, Thank You.

Here is what I have:
2012 Mac Pro 5,1
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Running latest Mojave OS
Boot ROM 144.0.0.0.0
GPU - Radeon Pro WX 7100 8 GB
Boot Drive is Samsung 970 PRO 512GB in slot #2.

Reactions: permanentmacdabbler

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
NVRAM isn't stored on the internal drive or anything easily accessed unfortunately. It's a boot rom thing which I learned about the hard way recently. The chip that holds the boot rom stores NVRAM settings and in a 4,1 the amount of space available is so small it gets full very quickly. If it then corrupts it can't rewrite or change any more settings. Best check out the boot rom thread and if possible dump your rom as soon as possible and should be someone who will take a look at it for you see if it needs any help.

i can do such a checkup and cleaning btw.

Reactions: permanentmacdabbler

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Ok great please advice how to proceed, Thank You

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.