Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I'm running MacOS 10.13.6. I find I have to restart weekly to avoid system freezes and kernel panics (though the latter are much more common for me than the former).

According to a poster on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7843691
"Outdated drivers can generate kernel panics".

I ran EtreCheck, and among the drivers it lists under kernel extensions is:

com.driver.LogJoystick (2.0 - SDK 10.10)

Can anyone tell me the source of this driver? All the other listed drivers contain the company within their name, e.g., "com.logitech.driver.LogiGamingMouseFilter (1.0 - SDK 10.10)" and "com.intel.driver.EnergyDriver (2.0 - SDK 10.13)", but this one doesn't.

I opened up the package contents for this driver and looked in the info.plist file. While it doesn't give the company, it does reference a "G13Joystick". And when I Googled this, I got that there is a Logitech G13 Joystick. So I'm guessing that's the source, but I'm not sure. I've never attached a joystick to my Mac, so maybe this is installed as part of the Logitech gaming package (which I use to control my G502 gaming mouse). But this driver is always loaded which, given that I don't have a G13 Joystick, seems like poor behavior for a kernel extension.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm running MacOS 10.13.6. I find I have to restart weekly to avoid system freezes and kernel panics (though the latter are much more common for me than the former).

Can anyone tell me the source of this driver? All the other listed drivers contain the company within their name, e.g., "com.logitech.driver.LogiGamingMouseFilter (1.0 - SDK 10.10)" and "com.intel.driver.EnergyDriver (2.0 - SDK 10.13)", but this one doesn't.

I opened up the package contents for this driver and looked in the info.plist file. While it doesn't give the company, it does reference a "G13Joystick". And when I Googled this, I got that there is a Logitech G13 Joystick. So I'm guessing that's the source, but I'm not sure. I've never attached a joystick to my Mac, so maybe this is installed as part of the Logitech gaming package (which I use to control my G502 gaming mouse). But this driver is always loaded which, given that I don't have a G13 Joystick, seems like poor behavior for a kernel extension.
It’s definitely a Logitech driver. It supports multiple devices, not just the G13.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

It’s definitely a Logitech driver. It supports multiple devices, not just the G13.

I second this. This is a Logitech joystick driver. See if you can find driver updates on the Logitech website and if that helps.

Reactions: theorist9

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I second this. This is a Logitech joystick driver. See if you can find driver updates on the Logitech website and if that helps.

Thanks guys. I checked the Logitech website and didn't find any individual driver updates, just an update page for the gaming software package as a whole (which contains the drivers). And according the Logitech website, I already have their latest gaming software package:
  • Software Version: 9.02.22
  • Last Update: 2020-01-18

Can I assume that all my drivers are thus also the latest versions (i.e., when the Logitech software package updates, does it automatically find and update all the drivers)?

And is there any way I can get a list of the drivers that are supposed to be installed as part of this package? Or do I need to email Logitech to confirm the drivers I have are only those that are supposed to be there?

Also, when I checked the downloads specifically for my mouse (G502 Proteus Core, a somewhat older model of the G502), Logitech instead offered the GHUB software. Not sure which would be better, but GHUB is a newer software suite than the Gaming package, since GHUB was still in beta testing in August 2018.

• Software Version: 2020.2.35921
  • Last Update: 2020-04-02
  • File Size: 29.7 MB

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Thanks guys. I checked the Logitech website and didn't find any individual driver updates, just an update page for the gaming software package as a whole (which contains the drivers). And according the Logitech website, I already have their latest gaming software package:
  • Software Version: 9.02.22
  • Last Update: 2020-01-18

Can I assume that all my drivers are thus also the latest versions (i.e., when the Logitech software package updates, does it automatically find and update all the drivers)?

And is there any way I can get a list of the drivers that are supposed to be installed as part of this package? Or do I need to email Logitech to confirm the drivers I have are only those that are supposed to be there?

Also, when I checked the downloads specifically for my mouse (G502 Proteus Core, a somewhat older model of the G502), Logitech instead offered the GHUB software. Not sure which would be better, but GHUB is a newer software suite than the Gaming package, since GHUB was still in beta testing in August 2018.

• Software Version: 2020.2.35921
  • Last Update: 2020-04-02
  • File Size: 29.7 MB

Well, if they are bundling drivers into a software package, then it stands to reason that any gaming software package update should/ would contain driver updates as well.

It is a long shot, but try contacting Logitech support. It is almost sure they will point you to Apple and macOS as the issue, but you can still try. Also, you can send a feedback to Apple using the Feedback Assistant for good measure.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
It is almost sure they will point you to Apple and macOS as the issue, but you can still try. Also, you can send a feedback to Apple using the Feedback Assistant for good measure.

If the issue is the kext (which it sounds like it is) then that's already been dealt with - OSX will no longer allow kexts in the future.

Reactions: macintoshmac

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
If the issue is the kext (which it sounds like it is) then that's already been dealt with - OSX will no longer allow kexts in the future.
Interesting! I did not know that.

I did a little digging and, according to https://developer.apple.com/support/kernel-extensions/ ,
Apple says "Software that supports a broad range of macOS versions should continue to use kernel extensions for older versions and run system extensions where supported."

Logitech's current preference is to have one package cover multiple OS's (currently 10.12 - 10.15). As I'm sticking to 10.13 for now, it seems the kext issue won't be over for me, since they'll continue to use kexts for older OS's.

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Interesting! I did not know that.

I did a little digging and, according to https://developer.apple.com/support/kernel-extensions/ ,
Apple says "Software that supports a broad range of macOS versions should continue to use kernel extensions for older versions and run system extensions where supported."

Logitech's current preference is to have one package cover multiple OS's (currently 10.12 - 10.15). As I'm sticking to 10.13 for now, it seems the kext issue won't be over for me, since they'll continue to use kexts for older OS's.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
If you don't need the kext and you suspect it might cause you problems, just delete it.

Guido Wehner

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
I had really big issues with this kext.
I installed LGS on my work-MBP to use my logitech G600 there (only mouse @home, corona homeoffice).
After some time i noticed that when MBP starts up it loads the pw prompt much quicker (~ 5s), after PW it was very slow (2min to user space), then my trackpad and keyboard weren't working. I had to plug in usb devices keyb and mouse to load the driver, to then load the internal devices (trackpad + keyb).

After months of debugging (had this prob before on other macs), with help of apple we detected the logitech driver as source of all evil.

After removing LGS =>
startup now in ~20sek until pw prompt
after pw => ~1sek
trackpad and keyb working, no usb problems anymore

I hate logitech software soooo much, but i expected much worse from razor or other lowcost "gaming hardware", their drivers and software for mac are full of ****

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.