Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkmcdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Northern California
Im wondering if any else has had an issue with their Apple Watch (space gray) turning pink. I purchased 4 in September 2018 for my family and they’ve all turned pink. I took them to the Apple Store and was basically told it wasn’t their problem. I guess we got a batch of bad Apple Watches. I’m very disappointed...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Im wondering if any else has had an issue with their Apple Watch (space gray) turning pink. I purchased 4 in September 2018 for my family and they’ve all turned pink. I took them to the Apple Store and was basically told it wasn’t their problem. I guess we got a batch of bad Apple Watches. I’m very disappointed...

Strange. Possible issue with the anodization process? Either way, (As others have mentioned), pictures are the only logical way to indicate what you’re referring too.

tkmcdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Northern California
6EF8A238-EE30-41BD-8781-59062E01A81C.jpeg

[doublepost=1560790303][/doublepost]I thought I upload pics yesterday but the didn’t post, so I’m trying again.

Attachments

• 234064B4-7670-4509-A110-E2D3307D52BF.jpeg
    234064B4-7670-4509-A110-E2D3307D52BF.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 586

tkmcdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Northern California
did you use one sort of cleaning alcohol?

We haven’t cleaned them with anything. My kids take showers with theirs but my wife and I don’t. I hadn’t even noticed the change until recently talking with a coworker who bought a new space gray Apple Watch. I held mine next hers and only then noticed the off color. When I got home that even it was noted that all our watches were the same. They were all space gray when we bought them.
[doublepost=1560795459][/doublepost]
did you use one sort of cleaning alcohol?

We've never cleaned them with anything. I try to keep mine from getting wet. The kids shower with theirs.
[doublepost=1560795536][/doublepost]
Those look like 4 rose gold watches with gray bands

I suppose they do, but they were space gray when purchased.

Last edited:

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
When you took them to the store did they admit that the color was off? Did you take all four to the store at the same time? Seems to me that you are within your 1 year warranty period and this is not the sort of discoloration one would expect with normal wear and tear. And I think your argument will be more convincing if the store employee is looking at four watches discolored in the exact same way. If it were due to a one off misuse issue I would imagine that would be pretty difficult to replicate so exactly.

tkmcdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Northern California
When you took them to the store did they admit that the color was off? Did you take all four to the store at the same time? Seems to me that you are within your 1 year warranty period and this is not the sort of discoloration one would expect with normal wear and tear. And I think your argument will be more convincing if the store employee is looking at four watches discolored in the exact same way. If it were due to a one off misuse issue I would imagine that would be pretty difficult to replicate so exactly.

I took all four to the Apple Store. They removed the wrist band on mine and could see the space gray color underneath, but didn't seem interested in resolving my issue. The Apple Store person set up a phone consult with Apple that was suppose to take place Sunday morning at 9 am, but no one called. I'm not sure what to do at this point, especially since no one else seems to be having my problem.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I took all four to the Apple Store. They removed the wrist band on mine and could see the space gray color underneath, but didn't seem interested in resolving my issue. The Apple Store person set up a phone consult with Apple that was suppose to take place Sunday morning at 9 am, but no one called. I'm not sure what to do at this point, especially since no one else seems to be having my problem.

Escalate your situation and follow up. There is zero reason why those Watches should look like that and Apple should replace them, especially being they are intended to be space gray and not look like that. You have a clear case that Apple should replace those watches without question. It’s an issue with the anodization process on the 7000 series aluminum.

tkmcdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Northern California
Escalate your situation and follow up. There is zero reason why those Watches should look like that and Apple should replace them, especially being they are intended to be space gray and not look like that. You have a clear case that Apple should replace those watches without question. It’s an issue with the anodization process on the 7000 series aluminum.

Who would suggest I contact next? I thought the Apple Store was the place to go for all things Apple.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Who would suggest I contact next? I thought the Apple Store was the place to go for all things Apple.

That's crazy. You can also contact Apple via the website if the store does not really want to help. I've had a lot of issues resolved on the support chat online. And remember you're still on that 1 year warranty.

nitropowered

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Ohio
I've had good luck with apple support chat. Either setup another call or just text chat with them in the support app.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
You can just ask chat support or phone support to escalate your issue to a supervisor. I’ve only had to do that one time, and I was able to then resolve my issue.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

If the store level can’t assist you, then your only option is to use customer service support, which can be escalated to a senior advisor or above. Keep in mind, not every store will handle situations the same, which is sometimes why you have to go above/beyond them.

JayJohnPaul

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2014
Dawnbreak City
This must have happened due to moisture and perspiration from daily use. I’ve seen something similar happen to a cheap fake Omega watch before but never on an Apple watch which is supposedly water resistant. Same damage on all 4 of them worn by 4 different people? Something’s definitely not right, looks like a factory defect. Did you purchase them brand new?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This must have happened due to moisture and perspiration from daily use. I’ve seen something similar happen to a cheap fake Omega watch before but never on an Apple watch which is supposedly water resistant. Same damage on all 4 of them worn by 4 different people? Something’s definitely not right, looks like a factory defect. Did you purchase them brand new?

It’s definitely a factory defect, it’s not coincidental that all four Apple Watches would turn a ‘pink hue’ like that. Also, the OP did mention that they were purchased in September 2018 (When the Series 4 launched), so I’m assuming they would be new that they’re all the same model.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Photo shows discoloration is not uniform, but more so on bottom edges and top edges. Anodizing can be affected by very strong chenicals and soaps. I remember when I was a kid, I put several aluminum glasses of various colors in the dishwasher, and they all out bright aluminum! Anodizing completely removed. Some chemical reaction is causing this, look for commonality in the family and house.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

So these people’s perspiration is different than everyone else’s?

Or they were unlucky and got 4 factory defective watches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.