Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rinus p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2021
I have a problem that the space consumption on my iPad is growing (14.x version of the ios)
The amount of space in the category ‘other’ is increasing and it cannot be freed other than by restoring a backup.

I think the screen recording option has to be blamed.
I assume it stores the recording in ‘other’, but the memory is not freed when you delete the recording in the pictures app.

Does anyone know more about it?
Perhaps it can be fixed by some magic settings?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Under Privacy you can turn off Analytics and then do an iTunes Synch to clear the storage of it. That cleared 5GB off my 12 Pro Max (but still left 15GB of Other that will require a Bachup, reset, etc. to clear. My iPP also has 15GB of Other).

rinus p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Under Privacy you can turn off Analytics and then do an iTunes Synch to clear the storage of it. That cleared 5GB off my 12 Pro Max (but still left 15GB of Other that will require a Bachup, reset, etc. to clear. My iPP also has 15GB of Other).
Thanks for the suggestion.
But I already turned off the Analystics option.
There are indeed quite a number of text files generated, but Since they are small, they cannot count for the lost of Mb, which is about half of my iPad memory.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks for the suggestion.
But I already turned off the Analystics option.
There are indeed quite a number of text files generated, but Since they are small, they cannot count for the lost of Mb, which is about half of my iPad memory.

Mine had been off, too but data is still collected - Off just means don't send it to Apple. It was 5GB for me even though it was a seemingly small number of text files.

rinus p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Mine had been off, too but data is still collected - Off just means don't send it to Apple. It was 5GB for me even though it was a seemingly small number of text files.
Ok, I will try that.
I am not using iTunes
Is there another way to purge this memory, or is a sync with iTunes the only way to get rit of it?
Why are these files occupying so much memory?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Ok, I will try that.
I am not using iTunes
Is there another way to purge this memory, or is a sync with iTunes the only way to get rit of it?
Why are these files occupying so much memory?

None other than iTunes from what I found searching online. However, I did it a day or two ago with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and the files were deleted and Other reduced but I just tried with my iPad Pro and it was not deleted. I just found this -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7931684

Where an Apple guy says it will only clear on a device erase.

Long story short - the only real way to get rid of Other data is to reset and reload. Ridiculous.

rinus p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2021
None other than iTunes from what I found searching online. However, I did it a day or two ago with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and the files were deleted and Other reduced but I just tried with my iPad Pro and it was not deleted. I just found this -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7931684

Where an Apple guy says it will only clear on a device erase.

Long story short - the only real way to get rid of Other data is to reset and reload. Ridiculous.
Indeed, ridiculous.
I already did a reset once because I was out of tricks and out of memory.
Retrieved half of my memory, but within a couple of months the situation is the same.
I don’t understand why people are such a fan of Apple.
The OS for the iPad is terrible old fashioned and inconvenient.
It would be nice if the Mac OS would be offered now that we have all the power of the M1 chip on an iPad.
A decent OS instead of the current one, such we have a normal browser and can delete files who do not need anymore.
Thanks for your answer.

Reactions: sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.