Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'd like to pick up an extra battery for my Nikon D40. The OEM one is this for $37, but I can get generics on eBay for around $12 or even ones that appear to be OEM for $16.

Is it safe to get non-OEM batteries? I ask because some electronics seem to be very particular about that sort of thing, and some aren't. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for good deals on batteries?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'd like to pick up an extra battery for my Nikon D40. The OEM one is this for $37, but I can get generics on eBay for around $12 or even ones that appear to be OEM for $16.

Is it safe to get non-OEM batteries? I ask because some electronics seem to be very particular about that sort of thing, and some aren't. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for good deals on batteries?

There have historically been many problems with 3rd party batteries, and I wouldn't risk it. There have also been issues with knock-off batteries, so I'd get one from a reputable dealer- trying to save $25 isn't worth it over even a three year period.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I have a non-OEM battery for my D80 which works just fine and holds as much charge as the OEM that came with my camera. But, for a bit more, you get the security of a reputable dealer's OEM battery.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Are you really finding that you need a second battery? I don't think I've ever run mine out before being able to re-charge. But then I have a D50 not a D40. That said I'll pick up a spare before I take the D50 on a week long backpack trip but even then I'll likely only shoot 100 frames a day and the battery will last a week easy at that rate.

I did buy a couple 3rd party video camera batteries. One works OK the other lasted about a day and no longer holds a charge. I think when you buy the Nikon brand you are paying for a level of quality control you don't get with brand-X knock offs.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I have, once or twice when on a trip, found myself getting low with the included battery. It does last a really long time, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I wound up going with the genuine Nikon one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.