Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duringtherapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Hi my spatial audio is driving me nuts it works automatically on my iphone, works on quicktime when i turn on any video, but it keeps saying spatial audio not available when i try to turn it on any song for spatial audio in apple music. I can hear the music, but its not spatial audio, again I checked if the song is supported. I have an m1 macbook air, airpods pro, and i checked the firmware on my airpods pro and its the latest firmware. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 11.41.42 AM.png
t

RyanSe7en7

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2021
You are not alone. I have never been able to get it to work, trying on multiple devices. I have checked and rechecked every possible variable and my equipment is up to date. I’m very frustrated. Btw - it works with the Apple TV app and other supported apps but I cannot get it to work with Apple Music.

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
SShot 2021-07-14 at 18.23.09.png

Far, far too oily and glib for my taste.

This was NOT a Developers' Conference, this was an extended Commercial with
"Greasy Joe" doing the hard sell.

DaveFlash

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
just a quick question to everyone on here, are any or all of you using docks and/or external DAC's or combo's of those?

If so, disconnect those and try again, it's really weird that it would not work with those connected, but at least that is what was preventing me from getting atmos/spatial to work on b1 & b2, now b3 of monterey which just dropped, seems to fix it partially, I now do get audio to play in dolby on my Airpods Max (from Music app), and indeed the audio field sounds wider on those songs, but Head Tracking seems to be completely not working from mac. Also the tv app flat out refuses to play any content when the airpods max and docks/dacs are connected, disconnecting either will get the tv app to play content again, again this is very weird and should not be happening. as my normal setup at home requires the use of both at all times. so apple really should fix this in the next betas

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
I guess it is not supposed to work with Apple Music. I tried with Netflix on Safari and it works.

It should not work because you do not need to get a feeling of listening to music from the direction it is coming from. It only applies to movies.

It even works on quicktime player and not VLC. May be they have to be updated.

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Not working for me either on my M1 Air or Mini with Apple Music, greyed out. And yes it should work as it works on iPad and the iPhone or AppleTV with AM.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Any updates on this? Getting the same thing using AirPods Pro and 2021 16" M1 MBP.

DaveFlash

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
yeah, Spatial Audio on Macs seems to be flimsy still, at this point. Suppose Apple engineers will get around to fixing it at some point, but my guess is, most problems stem from the fact that the macOS audio subsystem is really old and unlike iOS not capable of switching sample rates on the fly, it's still manual from the aduio/midi config app. so they really ought to completely rebuild audio on Mac from the ground up again is my opinion...

I guess it is not supposed to work with Apple Music. I tried with Netflix on Safari and it works.
it is supposed to work, with most if not all normal headphones and all AirPod generations as Spatial Audio with an increased headroom audio experience but no head movement stuff, and with AirPods Pro, Max & the third generation AirPods in full effect WITH head tracking on all M1 Macs and iOS 15 and up/newer and AppleTV/AppleTV 4K.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakeenzo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.