Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hooldus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Am I curious to know if there is any difference between the speakers quality on the MacBook Pro 13,3“ without Touchbar and the MacBook Pro 13,3“ with Touchbar?

The design on different models is totally different. The MacBook without Touchbar is using just two small speakers (ifixit teardown). The Touchbar version uses one small speaker and one driver, which is bigger and located deeper in the case near the battery (ifixit 1 + 2).

Apple claims, that speakers have up to 2.5x louder bass and 2x dynamic range, but it’s not clear if both MB versions deliver more bass and dynamic range, or just the Touchbar version. The Touchbar version is used as an illustration on Apple Website above those claims about improved sound. http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

Is here by any chance someone, who heard and compared them both? Is there any difference?

Or maybe the without-Touchbar version is even better due to the fact, that all speakers are located under the grid so that they can deliver sound directly?

Last edited:

iasix

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
For what it's worth: I have a non-TB and a RMB from 2012. The difference is amazing.

I never use my speakers though so I really don't care, just my .02: it's definitely an improvement over the old models.

hooldus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
I found one review on YouTube
@ 3:53 where two models are being compared together.

The reviewer is saying, that the design of the MacBook Pro with Touchbar negatively affects the sound quality.

MacBook Pro without Touchbar produces clear and crisp sound due to the front-facing speakers.

MacBook Pro with Touchbar sounds hollow and distant, a little more muffled and sound comes from the bottom of the laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.