Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'm finding that the Apple Studio Display's speakers are not great for Zoom calls. With some participant's in the call there is just too much bass coming thru and it is hard to clearly hear the person. I sometimes switch to my M1 MBA's speakers for Zoom meetings as I can hear people "more clearly" if that makes sense.

I watch Youtube on my Mac but no movies and very little music, so Zoom/Teams audio is my main concern. Any recommendations for improving sound for Zoom calls?

I don't want a DAC or other complicated setup. One of the things I love about the ASD is the speakers and mic are built-in.

I have work and personal laptops that I use with my Studio Display. So from 9-5 my work laptop is connected, then I connect my personal laptop in evening. I switch laptops via a magnetic USB dongle, so I need a simple setup where maybe speakers plug into ASD, so either computer can use them when connected.

1. Is there software I can use to tweak the ASD? I've seen: https://eqmac.app/ A software solution would be great but may only get so far.
2. Any recommendations for small footprint speakers that would help? Budget up to $200. Would prefer USB (USB-C?) unless you tell me it's easy to setup others. I don't know how Bluetooth would work with my two computer setup?
3. How do I handle the Mic? Can I use external speakers but still use the ASD's mic?

Thanks!

Reactions: Mactagonist

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Use a headset / Airpods. I have multiple pairs so I can marathon meetings just by switching Airpods when each set runs out of juice - just bear in mind you can't alternate between different Apple ID's. But as long as you are using the same Apple ID across your Macs then the switching will be (for the most part) seamless.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
I second the recommendation of headphones, but I am also contemplating a similar setup. IE 1 studio display or XDR that both my wife and I plug into depending on who is using the desk.

In that setup I would also like to keep the speakers connected to the screen to minimize the cables to plug and unplug when changing users.

In my research several people have recommended the creative pebble usb-c speakers for basic ‘computer sounds’ usage.

For dedicated music or entertainment usage I would probably upgrade to something like the Audio Engine a2+ using usb audio input with a usb A to C adapter.

Reactions: sigamy

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I need better headset but with 6+ hours of Zoom calls I start to get some discomfort from most headsets.

I've ordered one of the Pebble's (not sure which version I picked) and these Sanyun desktop speakers. Both have good reviews for the sub $100 range:

I will test them out and return one or both...

Reactions: Mactagonist

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I can highly recommend the Poly Voyager Focus 2 for comfort and sound quality, even after extended periods. Not cheap, but great. I got a discounted “like new” headset from Amazon for personal use, and was so impressed so I bought a 2nd pair to replace the headset provided for work.

Reactions: sigamy

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Not impressed at all with the Sanyun speakers compared to the ASD. Now, I'm 52 and my ears are not great so YMMV.

Definitely not worth the desk space and clutter for me. And really made me realize how good the speakers and processing in ASD is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.