Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zntxrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
Hi,

I am about to buy this thing for approx $263 $311. (Includes 30-days money back if not happy and warranty 12 months. Free shipping)

Apple Mac Mini 2014
1.4 GHz | 4 GB | 500 GB SSD

As I understand it I will not be able to upgrade RAM on this machine?

--

The purpose of this machine is to be able to store interactive multimedia art works that completely or partially is dependent on software. The Mac mini will not be used until it is time to exhibit the artworks.

For comparison the artworks have been run successfully on:

MacBook Air 11" Mid 2012 | 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel Processor | 128 GB SSD

so obviously the performance demand is not very high.

I want use Mojave in order to maintain backwards software compatibility.

--

...so is this a decent buy? I really want to spend as little time as possible on getting the hardware/os in shape, I need my time for other software challenges.

Very thankful for input!

Best,
N.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
DO NOT buy a 2014 Mini with only 4gb of RAM.
The RAM is soldered in and IS NOT upgradeable.

Consider yourself as having been "duly warned" about this!

Reactions: zntxrr

zntxrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
Damn, well thanks. I ordered it already. If it is not enough for my needs Ill have to return it.

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016

Here is a late 2014 Mac mini for $165, has 16GB ram. 2.6Ghz i5. I'd try to cancel the other order and get this. Also you can buy a warranty.

*edit* also just browse around usedmac.com and see what other Mac minis they have, maybe you want something with an SSD. But 4GB ram is a little slim these days. 8GB minimum I say.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

I am about to buy this thing for approx $263 $311. (Includes 30-days money back if not happy and warranty 12 months. Free shipping)

Apple Mac Mini 2014
1.4 GHz | 4 GB | 500 GB SSD

As I understand it I will not be able to upgrade RAM on this machine?

--

The purpose of this machine is to be able to store interactive multimedia art works that completely or partially is dependent on software. The Mac mini will not be used until it is time to exhibit the artworks.

I want use Mojave in order to maintain backwards software compatibility.

--

...so is this a decent buy? I really want to spend as little time as possible on getting the hardware/os in shape, I need my time for other software challenges.

Very thankful for input!

Best,
N.
For a Mojave machine, a 2014 Mac mini is fine. That said, I'd only run software on Mojave that CAN ONLY run in Mojave. I also wouldn't use your iCloud with it, save for sparingly. I would also not have it running on the Internet often (Mojave stopped getting security updates a year and a half ago).

Will also echo other concerns that Mojave with 4GB of RAM is garbage and that you won't be able to upgrade it after the fact. You should cancel that in favor of literally any other 2014 Mac mini.

zntxrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023

Here is a late 2014 Mac mini for $165, has 16GB ram. 2.6Ghz i5. I'd try to cancel the other order and get this. Also you can buy a warranty.

*edit* also just browse around usedmac.com and see what other Mac minis they have, maybe you want something with an SSD. But 4GB ram is a little slim these days. 8GB minimum I say.
Problem is that I'm in Sweden so with shipping that mac mini would cost $450... maybe I could find something from Germany. Or England, but then we have Brexit. I would need SSD and could put in in myself, but I would pay something just to have it done fast.

I hear what you are saying about the 4 gb ram... it sounds like trouble.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
That model Mini is (unfortunately) one of Apple's worst. However, if I understand what you are saying, it will probably be fine for your needs. I have one of these and also a better 2.8ghz/8gb 2014 Mini with a 128gb SSD. Have used the better one as a media server for a number of years, but it developed some problems recently.

So, I cloned the internal SSD from the better mini to an external USB SSD and connected it to the 1.4ghz/4gb Mini. Have been using it for the past month and see absolutely no difference streaming my large iTunes library to a couple Apple TV's. It is running Mojave.

As long as you aren't using the Mini interactively to run demanding software, it may be fine. But you will definitely want a SSD for the startup disk. Internal SSD's are pretty easy to install on the 2014 Mini (with the right tool), or you can just use an external USB SSD. I am using an old Samsung t3 256gb on mine with all my media on another 4tb external USB SSD.

zntxrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
this one, $292:

Apple Mac Mini 2014
2.6 GHz | 8 GB | 250 GB SSD
Intel Iris Graphics 5100

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
this one, $292:

I thought you already bought the 1.4ghz Mini?

There's no question that the 2.6ghz is a better model and 8gb plus a SSD makes it an all-around better computer. Is it worth $300? That's debatable. ;)

Here in the US, MacSales (aka OWC) sells this same configuration for $189 including a 90 day warranty. Without the warranty, it would be worth a lot less IMO. But I understand that you may not have access to this kind of pricing in your country, so I don't know if $300 is a reasonable price for you.

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
I thought you already bought the 1.4ghz Mini?

There's no question that the 2.6ghz is a better model and 8gb plus a SSD makes it an all-around better computer. Is it worth $300? That's debatable. ;)

Here in the US, MacSales (aka OWC) sells this same configuration for $189 including a 90 day warranty. Without the warranty, it would be worth a lot less IMO. But I understand that you may not have access to this kind of pricing in your country, so I don't know if $300 is a reasonable price for you.
They’ve got a 30 day satisfaction period so it seems they can evaluate it firsthand. I think a lot depends on the artwork the computer is gonna be used for. 3D? 4K? Interactive or static? Custom software? Or compressed HD 1080, looping forever? There can be miles between these requirements.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I think a lot depends on the artwork the computer is gonna be used for. 3D?

Doesn't sound like his requirements are very intense. Even the base 1.4ghz 2014 Mini Geekbench ratings are higher than his benchmark Macbook Air. I still suspect that would be fine for his needs, but the 2.8ghz Mini is certainly a better machine.

zntxrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
It sucks to pay double price but the safety is maaaybe worth it. At least I can send back the 1.4 GHz and buy the other one for another $30 with literally no added fee. If I order from US it is much more of a hassle and risk.

The projects are mainly sound synthesis plus sensors over serial communication, some which could even run on a Raspberry pi 3. One project utilizes a Unity3d made app. It worked on the macbook air.

But I think it is stupid to get the mac that just barely meets my needs. I have emailed and told them I want to buy the other one. :/

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.