Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iheardthedrums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
Hello!

I just recently bought a Speck hard shell case for my MBP 2017. I have put it on already and I've noticed that my laptop would get very hot after watching a few episodes of a show. I want to remove the case and check if that's causing my laptop to overheat or not.

But will removing the hard shell case scratch the aluminum body (especially the bottom one)? Since the case practically snaps into place, I'm afraid that maybe it could quite possible scratch the body.

snocapmom

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2017
Maui
Hello!

I just recently bought a Speck hard shell case for my MBP 2017. I have put it on already and I've noticed that my laptop would get very hot after watching a few episodes of a show. I want to remove the case and check if that's causing my laptop to overheat or not.

But will removing the hard shell case scratch the aluminum body (especially the bottom one)? Since the case practically snaps into place, I'm afraid that maybe it could quite possible scratch the body.
[doublepost=1513063834][/doublepost]Don't ignore overheating. I just got my MBP (2015) back - AppleCare covered new logic board and battery.
Hadn't crashed - a tech guy noticed 'swollen battery'. It ran hot when new - Mac support forums blamed hot MBP on OS, watching videos, etc. Wrong - MBP was defective. I'm lucky someone noticed swollen battery - before it crashed for good.

Hard plastic cases aren't the greatest, on watching videos- and you're right to be careful with covers - I had speck type too. It was hard to get on and off; chipped in corners; sides of case brittle over time.

I'm looking for a case too. I saw one on Amazon whose architecture addressed the heat issue - I need to search again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.