Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I use Apple Maps for navigating with Waze running in the background to alert for speed cameras, police, incidents, traffic jams etc. That said Apple Maps is now integrating fixed speed cameras and Google Maps shows some stuff that Waze does.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I use Apple Maps for navigating with Waze running in the background to alert for speed cameras, police, incidents, traffic jams etc. That said Apple Maps is now integrating fixed speed cameras and Google Maps shows some stuff that Waze does.
That's what I do when I have to drive into any part of NYC. Can't believe how many of the freaking speed cameras have been put up. I remember when they first started they had to be within a certain distance of a school and on the same block/avenue as the school entrance. Now they have "school zones" so anywhere near the school is fair game.

x-man

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
London
The Apple Maps interface is really nice and now we have speed camera alerts here in the UK...

I am driving to the continent next week and looks like its still too early for Apple Maps to be used on a long drive like that, I read cameras and speed limits are not broadly available in some countries...

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/feature-availability/#maps-standard

So I think is best to go back and use good old Waze - their Carplay interface is not the cleanest but as an app looks like it still has the best set of overall features.

Note that I tried Google Maps today, a short drive but speed camera alerts are not showing around me...

Last edited:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The Apple Maps interface is really nice and now we have speed camera alerts here in the UK...

I am driving to the continent next week and looks like its still too early for Apple Maps to be used on a long drive like that, I read cameras and speed limits are not broadly available in some countries...

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/feature-availability/#maps-standard

So I think is best to go back and use good old Waze - their Carplay interface is not the cleanest but as an app looks like it still has the best set of overall features.

Note that I tried Google Maps today, a short drive but speed camera alerts are not showing around me...
No reason you can’t use Apple maps to navigate and waze in the background for alerts. I really don’t like the waze look for navigating but having the alerts from waze pop up is handy. I used Apple maps via CarPlay in France a few years ago and it worked really well. Since used it in various hire cars in France again and America.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.