Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duderman67

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Hello guys! I finally upgraded to macOS Sierra and almost horrified by the new and very slow mission control animation. So is there an actual way to speed it up?
I found this Terminal command "defaults write com.apple.dock expose-animation-duration -float 0" which allegedly should speed animation but it seems to not working in Sierra. I tried different floats (0.5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.05 etc) and didn't see any changes at all.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Sounds something wrong. My mission control speed is very normal. Not lightning fast, but reasonable fast animation.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
They have changed the speed to inertial speed depending on how quickly you gesture on the trackpad. The mission control button seems to be an average speed though.

moophone

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
In the same boat. navigating between spaces is way too slow, I'd rather have no animation since its something I do all the time

Reactions: duderman67

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Turn on Reduce Motion in the SysPrefs > Accessibility, it will speed it up by a huge factor.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Are you talking about a slow but smooth animation or one thats choppy? If it's choppy, "defaults write com.apple.dock expose-animation-duration -float 0" will only mask the problem because you're setting the animation duration to 0 seconds, which means the animation is effectively disabled.

I had a few issues with animations like window maximization and mission control being choppy after upgrading from 10.11.6 to 10.12.0 yesterday. I ended up booting into the recovery partition and installing 10.12.0 again over my existing install while retaining my user files. Somehow this fixed it, as well as a lot of other completely unrelated issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.