Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I have uploaded 100+ still photos of a sunset - time lapse. I have joined them together with "cross dissolve" and it tracks very nicely but too slowly.

The speed icon is "grey" so pressing it does nothing so how can I speed up the movie?

Thanks

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You can't because you are trying to speed up still photos, and they don't move. You can reduce the time of each photo, or...Share/Export your project as a movie file, then import that, make a new Project with it and then you'll be able to adjust the speed because it's a video.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Many thanks Dave, that did the job although the picture quality suffered in the process but it's watchable - just 😎

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have uploaded 100+ still photos of a sunset - time lapse. I have joined them together with "cross dissolve" and it tracks very nicely but too slowly.

The speed icon is "grey" so pressing it does nothing so how can I speed up the movie?

Thanks

What us the duration for each photo set at? If you have 100 photos set to 5 seconds each, that's 500 seconds, or over 6 minutes... try shortening up the display duration for each photo to something line a second (will still be almost 2 minutes) or less... that's the only way, with still images.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for that. I did the "save and reload" suggested by Dave and it worked fine. I'll try this as well DW. see if the quality is any better, after all, plenty of time to play 🙄

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
.. try shortening up the display duration for each photo to something line a second (will still be almost 2 minutes) or less... that's the only way, with still images.

I have tried everything I can to do this DW, looked at all the "Help" without success! I managed to reduce one photo to around 1sec but not the whole 90+. Again your help would be appreciated.

Further to the above, I;'ve managed to sort it out. Go into Preferences and there one can change the time the image is displayed, the transition time etc etc.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have tried everything I can to do this DW, looked at all the "Help" without success! I managed to reduce one photo to around 1sec but not the whole 90+. Again your help would be appreciated.

Further to the above, I;'ve managed to sort it out. Go into Preferences and there one can change the time the image is displayed, the transition time etc etc.

Thanks for you help.

Hmmm... in Final Cut Pro X, the command CTRL-D will bring up the 'change duration' dialog. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a comparable edit option in iMovie... you have to change the Photo Duration in Settings and then, assumably, reimport the photos...

Last edited:

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Yes you change the settings before you drag the pictures into the workspace - works a treat and of course affects every picture!!

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
The pictures were initially stored in a folder on my Desktop, then imported into iMovie so they reside in iMovie after that.
Unfortunately I can't upload the resultant "movie" here but from the initial 100Mb file, each picture originally showed for five(5) seconds, it has come down to just 9Mb with the show time of just 0.5sec/still and the transition set to 0.1sec.

SUNSET

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.