Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
So today i went to my friends house because he let me have a
[i think] broken 420ex speedlite which he had no manual to it,
and i have a Canon Rebel Xs

The flash turns on, and i can hear it charge up but when i press the
shutter button, no flash goes off no matter what mode i have it on,

since the flash unit still turns on, and charges does that mean its still
fixable?

any ideas what can be wrong with it?

this is a generic pic of it
post-20708-1229718120.jpg

any advice/help is greatly appreciated
thanks,
mario

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Until you know what's wrong, keep it off your camera.

1) Put a fresh set of batteries in

2) Turn in on and see if the pilot light turns on (it glows red on the 430, I am assuming the 420 is similar). Press the pilot light to trigger the flash.

If the flash doesn't fire at step 2 find someone that knows what they are doing to help you.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
As Jampat said. Turn it on (off the camera), wait for the red light to illuminate, and then press the red light (this is a button) to fire the flash. I will add: remember to set your camera for external flash using the camera's menu. It's possible that the camera is still set for the camera's flash instead of external flash?

mahood

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
UK
Until you know what's wrong, keep it off your camera.

1) Put a fresh set of batteries in

2) Turn in on and see if the pilot light turns on (it glows red on the 430, I am assuming the 420 is similar). Press the pilot light to trigger the flash.

If the flash doesn't fire at step 2 find someone that knows what they are doing to help you.

And I would add do NOT try taking it apart unless you know what you're doing... If it's charged up and you discharge it through yourself, it'll hurt like hell at the very least.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
If you still cant get it to work right, just send it in to Canon and see what they say. They may tell you they can fix it for $75.00. Would you pay that for a 420?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.