Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey guys, I just installed the latest speedtest app update on my iphone 7 plus, and iPad Air 2. I am having issues getting the app to work. They've added new privacy controls, and they've added a new screen with a blue padlock on it. I click through the set up instructions, click allow when given the option, hen click Done after going through all the screens. There is a brief second the start test screen shows, then it goes back to the padlock screen. I've read the privacy policy on the site, looked in settings for the app for an option to accept terms / conditons, but nothing. Anyone know how to get past the initial screens? Thanks.

All this privacy stuff is really starting to get on my nerves and I'm starting to feel like people are going overboard.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Works fine on my 7 plus on 11.4 beta 6.. your iOS version is..?
iOS 11.3.1 on both devices. I wasn't able to get past the privacy stuff to actually run a Speedtest. I would go through the initial screens, and then when I got to the screen to run a speed test, the screen with the blue padlock picture would drop down again. this happened with an update on the iPad Air 2, and a fresh install on the iPhone 7 plus. That's why I was wondering if I was missing something.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Maybe compatibility issue on 11.3 but fixed on 11.4.
I'll wait until 11.4 goes final, then reinstall the app. It's not an app I use very much, so I can wait. Fi need be, can I contact Speedtest directly? I looked for an option on their site earlier, and couldn't really find anything. that's why I created this thread here. Thanks again.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Having the same issue as the OP. I’m sure it’ll be fixed pretty quick since the app is useless the way it is now. On 11.3.1 btw.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Theres a feedback option in the app, but im guess u cant get to that option right?
That is correct. I did some more complete testing and here is what I found.

1. I deleted and re-downloaded the Speedtest app on my iPad.
2. On opening the App I am greeted by the welcome screen with the blue padlock in the center.
3. tapping on next gives me the option to allow or deny location services while using the app.
4. clicking allow, or don't allow then takes me to the privacy Notice page where I can read the policy by clicking the link at the bottom of the page.
5. Clicking the Done button briefly shows me the page where I can start a speed test, then goes back to the welcome screen. I can't even quickly interact with anything before the app loops. Repeating the above steps - the location services simply results in the initial setup never exiting.

It doesn't matter whether or not I allow, or deny location services, or allow, or deny Speedtest to collect data. The setup still resets never giving me access to the app. This also happens on the iPhone 7 plus, same iOS version, and that was a completely clean install of the app as it had never been installed on that device before.

I did look for a feedback option through the website, which I couldn't find since the app isn't working correctly for me.

Just a FYI: there was also an update this morning on the Mac App Store for Speedtest, and that worked fine. It gave me the option to allow data to be collected, or not. I clicked allow and it moved on just fine, and I ran a speed test with no issues. So this seems to be an issue with the iOS app only.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Same for me.

iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 11.3.1

Delete and re-install didn't help.

I'm guessing they will update the app soon to fix it.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
fast.com is another good one
Well after doing more testing seems iOS is the only Apple platform with the bug. The Apple TV(s) updated and work fine, and so did the iMac. I'll wait and see of something drops next week. There was another user here who confirmed the problem as well with a different model of iPhone but same iOS version. If you get an update that fixes the problem, let the thread know :). Until then I've removed from iOS devices until bug is fixed.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Well after doing more testing seems iOS is the only Apple platform with the bug. The Apple TV(s) updated and work fine, and so did the iMac. I'll wait and see of something drops next week. There was another user here who confirmed the problem as well with a different model of iPhone but same iOS version. If you get an update that fixes the problem, let the thread know :). Until then I've removed from iOS devices until bug is fixed.
To add, I have the issue too, got it 30 minutes ago and took a video — then I came here (unrelated) and saw your post

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
To add, I have the issue too, got it 30 minutes ago and took a video — then I came here (unrelated) and saw your post
Thankfully it was something as simple as Speedtest that broke this time. At the same time though. Very strange it was one of the most popular and well known services that had the issue.

Reactions: SoN1NjA

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Update released. App works again on 11.3.1
Damn, you right

8evuic.png

Reactions: mattguy10

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Still not working for me. :(
If you haven't already, remove the app by holding on it until it jiggles, tap the X, tap delete. Then re download a fresh copy from the App Store, and set it up brand new. If that fails it's possible something specific to your setup as the others having issues here, seem to have been resolved with the update released today.

One other thing to try is a reboot of the device.

Reactions: Weaselboy

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
If you haven't already, remove the app by holding on it until it jiggles, tap the X, tap delete. Then re download a fresh copy from the App Store, and set it up brand new. If that fails it's possible something specific to your setup as the others having issues here, seem to have been resolved with the update released today.

One other thing to try is a reboot of the device.

What device/iOS version?

Thanks. Deleted and reinstalled. All is well.

Reactions: mattguy10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.