Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mandygirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2017
Yesterday I was watching my kids friends and someone left a full juicebox on the table. It spilled on my MacBook pro. It could not have been much but seemed like a ton. I tried turning it over... Putting paper through the sides. It has been either upside down or sideways since. I tried turning it on and it was fine. Started making a squeaky noise then a loud noise. Turned it off. Put it back upside down. Tried again and got a message that it couldn't find the keyboard. Tried again. It was fine. Tried again and got the same message. It is currently upside down on a cookie sheet and i will be leaving it that way overnight... It is a work computer so I am extra worried. Any advice?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You should open the Macbook, disconnect the battery, and remove as many components as possible, let it dry for days, clean any corrosion with pure alcohol.

Not disconnecting the battery and turning it on soon after the spill may have damaged some critical components on the logic board.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Wet juice causes shorts, dried juice causes corrosion. Not good either way, your machine may work for years, or never again, or somewhere in between. Thats the nature of moisture damage. Internal inspection will likely show the liquid indicators tripped, likely there is dried juice stains under the keys...so if fessing up is likely to be an issue... :-(

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Does the computer have AppleCare+? If so, it is covered (with a deductible). If not, it's going to be expensive to fix, and in some cases replacement is more economically viable - both which present issues with a work machine :(

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Too late now but the most important thing to do if you get water/wine/juice etc on any electrical equipment is turn it off as soon as possible and leave it off for as long as you can (like a week, not just a couple of hours.)

Water itself does not harm electronic components if there is no power running through them. However in this instance you may have fried it by turning it on I'm afraid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.