Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
I have an iPhone pro that is in a clear case. I put it on a wireless charging pad and it charges as normal.
However I can pick it up and use it for a bit, out it back on the pad and it doesn’t charge.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I noticed that as well; I think the phone may need to be positioned more carefully on the charging pad. It seems to only work if I put my phone exactly in the middle, whereas there used to be a little more leeway.

Chris168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
The pad...

What charger and wall puck are you using?
I have a samsung Qi charger that worked perfectly with my XS Max and s case. But with the 11 pro, it works, I use it, put it back and it doesn’t. Doesn’t matter where it’s positioned. It’s really weird.
With iOS 13.1 (not sure if iOS 13 too), there is an optimized battery setting that this sounds like what is going on:
I thought about this, and maybe it could’ve been low power mode, but it’s the fact that it could be at any power level and suddenly the wireless charging stops unless I restart it.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I have a samsung Qi charger that worked perfectly with my XS Max and s case. But with the 11 pro, it works, I use it, put it back and it doesn’t. Doesn’t matter where it’s positioned. It’s really weird.

I thought about this, and maybe it could’ve been low power mode, but it’s the fact that it could be at any power level and suddenly the wireless charging stops unless I restart it.

I have a Samsung fast charge pad also_One with little slots cut into the base to expel heat.

They are a little finicky but I have no “disconnects” when charging.
I would say try another pad because because I would think the charger is the weak piece of the chain versus the phone.

Possible overheating safety on the part of the charger, also, so try different outlets...

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
I have a Ravpower wireless charger and that don’t work with my 11 Pro, it worked fine for a whole year with my Xs, very odd, the light on the charger just flashes blue instead of staying green.

I remember this happening to my Xs during the iOS 13 beta testing, I think it was beta 2, but an update to the next beta sorted it, so I hope it’s just a software bug with the 11 Pro.

Adam.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
All of this is software controlled by the device, and can change at any time, wired or wireless, for seemingly good reasons or not.

It was just reported that iOS 13.1 puts stricter requirements on Apple's 7.5W Qi profile. What was granted in iOS 11.2 has now been pulled back just a bit.

Watch S4s aren't compatible with chargers that the S3 and earlier accommodated.

iOS 9 suddenly deemed that my iPad is "Not Charging" if fed with anything less than 10W. iOS 8 and earlier didn't object.

And was it iOS 7 or 8 that killed a bunch of third-party Lighting cables?

Even the pricey Belkin Valet charging dock, a special edition sold almost exclusively in Apple's own stores, was found incompatible with the newly introduced iPhone X. (There go the conspiracy theories that Apple purposely sabotages third party accessories not sold by favored partners)

Unfortunately, the accessory manufacturers can only play by the rules that Apple gives. If Apple elects to change those rules, then the players and users can suffer.

This could just be a glitch that will be rectified in a future iOS update. But don't be surprised if it isn't.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Same issue here. I actually brought my first 11 Pro Max back because of this issue. Best Buy deemed it defective. My new phone was working, then it siddenly wasn’t. Thought it was a new case but it doesn’t work even without a case. I have 3 different wireless chargers that won’t charge this phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.