Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I'm going to purchase a Canon Rebel XT. Quite alot of what i'm going to shoot is sports action. I'd like some opinions and suggestions on good lenses for this type of photograhy. 'm a bit of a novice and would like something that has a good cost/quality ratio...

Thanks!

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
i.Feature said:
I'm going to purchase a Canon Rebel XT. Quite alot of what i'm going to shoot is sports action. I'd like some opinions and suggestions on good lenses for this type of photograhy. 'm a bit of a novice and would like something that has a good cost/quality ratio...

Thanks!

If it is outdoor sports, I would suggest either a 70-200mm f4 or a 300mm f4. Then get a good monopod to help out your arms.

chrismccorkle

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Yeah I would recommend the 70-200mm f/4 as well. Provides a wide enough angle at 70mm to capture a decent amount of grassy field yet still at f/4 you get the cherished bokeh.

200mm will be long enough to get good profiles of players, also resulting in an exaggerated bokeh.

translation:

at 70mm, you can see more, at 200mm, you can zoom more. anything in between is great.

at f/4, the little hole in the lens is opened up enough so you can get that fine blur behind the subject when you are properly focused.

edit:
i recommend this lens: Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 for $149.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...762&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

chrismccorkle

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Although, if you would like an incredibly fast and quality lens that will work with good profile shots (from the side) and provide lightning-fast auto focus, get a canon 50mm f/1.4 or 1.8 USM.

the USM will provide you will near silent autofocusing (if it's a problem) incredibly quickly.

this lens, although expensive, will also capture INCREDIBLE bokeh due to its wide wide aperture. as for sports photography, you could simply (in Av mode) pull the aperture down to f/4 and still enjoy the lens' speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.