Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
Hi folks,

I don't know if this has been posted / found out before, so I feel sorry if that's true.

Today, I was browsing the PPC archive on my PowerMac G4 running Tiger. I found Spotify and it looked cool to be able to stream music on a 15 year old computer.
Unfortunately, according to PPC archive it requires Leopard. I thought: "Why not try to download and run it. Maybe it does at least something..."

So after downloading it, dragging Spotify to my Applications folder and opening it, I was - to my surprise - greeted with a login screen. I logged in using my FB email and password and I got in!
Not even a minute later I was streaming music on a 15 year old computer! Who on earth would even have thought that was possible. It works without stuttering and offers clear sound quality...

There are a few bugs though, but they are likely due to the client being so old.
One is the failure of loading the Persons screen (Facebook api broken due to the version being old?). The other "bug" or shortcoming is that all your Albums are not accessible with this client. This is likely because the "Albums" feature was introduced way after this client came out. In the past, you used to save albums as "Playlists" and they were added to your library - and my playlists do indeed work in this old client.

Afbeelding 6.png

To wrap it up: Using Spotify on 10.4 PPC is a pretty pleasant experience, and IMO it's great that such an old Mac can still handle some modern things without issues!

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I've used it on 10.4 and one problem is the speed. All G3 and most G4 systems will run Spotify, but pretty slow. And if you have a fast G4, like a 1.67GHz, or a G5, you're going to be running Leopard. So any computer that you have running 10.4 is probably not going to run it well.

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I've known this for a while now. My iMac G4 runs Tiger and Spotify works fine on that. What's cooler is the fact that someone has edited the Spotify.app binary to also run on G3 machines, it's somewhere on MacRumors. I've had Spotify running fine on the original Bondi 233MHz iMac G3 with Tiger (XPostFacto ofcourse) and that edited Spotify.app.
[doublepost=1474754218][/doublepost]
I've used it on 10.4 and one problem is the speed. All G3 and most G4 systems will run Spotify, but pretty slow. And if you have a fast G4, like a 1.67GHz, or a G5, you're going to be running Leopard. So any computer that you have running 10.4 is probably not going to run it well.
Not completely true. The official Spotify.app will not run on G3 machines. There's an edited Spotify.app somewhere here on MacRumors that does, though. And I don't find it to be slow on 10.4 at all.

Reactions: Slix

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
I've run Spotify on Tiger for years - never found i to be slow at all.
Yep, it wasn't slow for me either, and surely I don't have a very fast G4 (733 MHz and 512 MB ram)...

Also this old version feels so much less bloated than the modern ones. The same applies for iTunes and a lot of other apps / sites!

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I've also run it on Tiger on as low as a Power Mac G3 300 MHz, doesn't run slow at all. The modified version was floating around someplace a while back, now it's on all of my Macs that can run it. :)

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I thought I'd give Spotify a try on my G4 iMac running Tiger. Downloaded it, opened it from the Applications folder and was met with the log-in screen requesting 'Username' and 'Password'. As noted in the first post here, I thought I'd try logging with FB details. Not having a FB account, I entered my wife's e-mail address as 'Username' followed by her FB password. No luck. Tried again, and met with unknown details. Tried again using her FB name as 'username' followed by password. Again met with unknown details.
Can someone please confirm that FB details no longer works for them as a log-in means to Spotify.

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Hi guys! I have a question about Spotify: it has almost every song I like and it runs well on my MDD, but, how to get rid of all that chache? On my MDD if I use it for a couple of days it stores a lot of chache. Is there an option to disable it or to make it delete the chache every time I close the app?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi guys! I have a question about Spotify: it has almost every song I like and it runs well on my MDD, but, how to get rid of all that chache? On my MDD if I use it for a couple of days it stores a lot of chache. Is there an option to disable it or to make it delete the chache every time I close the app?

Under Preferences:

Screen shot 2017-02-10 at 19.34.06.png

Reactions: pochopsp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.