Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dandoodle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
uk, planet earth!
With Spotify announcing hifi, are we likely to see Apple announce a new hi def music streaming service? Never mind all the podcast content coming to Spotify

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
Will be interesting to see Apple's response to this, surely they are going to have to either offer a HiFi service of their own on Apple Music or say why they are not doing so? Makes for quite a dilemma for me. I've had an Apple Music family sub for ages, now part of my Apple One Premier plan. However, I've been pondering a switch to Spotify for 2 reasons:

1) My car doesn't support Apple CarPlay (grrr) but has Spotify Premium built in with access to the entire Spotify library, ad free and unlimited data. If I had my own Spotify Premium account I could play my own playlists in the car as well as everywhere else.

2) I've gotten increasingly fed up with my HomePod stereo pair in the living room not maintaining their pairing. Constantly having to reset one or both of them. So I've given up and bought an alternative compact hifi that supports both Airplay and Spotify Connect (and CDs, how retro!) I'm led to believe (yet to test it) that Spotify Connect will give me better audio quality than Airplay as it plays direct from the server rather than the phone, and it also means I don't run the battery down on the phone.

So, Spotify HiFi via Spotify Connect would be a potential 3rd reason to consider switching if Apple don't respond.

Reactions: Dandoodle

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I’ll probably still end up sticking with Apple for three reasons:

1) Apple One.
2) Sync Library in the Music app.
3) Lack of RSS/Patreon integration in Spotify.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My computer is setup as an audio workstation with some pretty good (audio) monitors and I had a trial period of Tidal "masters" version last year. The high bitrate/sample masters sounded really great (my USB audio device can handle them) and even the "CD quality" stuff was a lot nicer than the compressed audio of Spotify or Apple Music.

In front of my computer is really the only place it would matter to me. Sonos, Homepod, in the car or whatever doesn't seem to me to be a listening situation where it would make enough of a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.