Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
20211212_150553.jpg

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
CleanMyMacX can delete the spotlight index, which would force spotlight to rebuilt it all from scratch, which can take a very long time if the entire drive has index been wiped

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
If it is happening constantly and you've left it long enough to complete ( 12 hours +) then you might want to clear the index and allow to rebuild from scratch - either by using CleanMyMac to do it or removing the drive from Spotlight (add it to the excluded list in Settings>Spotlight> Privacy) restart and then take the drive back off the excluded list to make Spotlight reindex from scratch

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
The problem with Spotlight is the Privacy settings, at least on my M1 Air/Monterey install are not holding. I have to check the list every time I mount a drive. Those settings are not in the plist. Anyone know where they are?

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
If it is happening constantly and you've left it long enough to complete ( 12 hours +) then you might want to clear the index and allow to rebuild from scratch - either by using CleanMyMac to do it or removing the drive from Spotlight (add it to the excluded list in Settings>Spotlight> Privacy) restart and then take the drive back off the excluded list to make Spotlight reindex from scratch
i did it and it didnt fix it unfortunately....

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Is it connected to an external drive?

If not hardware that's not meshing well, it must be some software you've run.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Start it in safe mode and see if it still happens. If not, yes software. You can check your startup items for clues.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
To my knowledge, thatā€™s not how Spotlight works. Placing a formerly Spotlighted drive on the Privacy list does not wipe the index nor result in a reindex from scratch. Unless something changed fairly recently, that was not the way Spotlight worked in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.