Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanveengames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Not a damn clue.
Just updated today, spotlight seems worse in every way.
1. It sometimes fails to find a file, I can type the exact name and extension of a file on my desktop or in my sites folder, and it will just outright not find it. Default option is to google it, yeah thanks
2. Calculations are worse, results are much smaller
3. Unit conversions are much worse, small, and no longer that table there. Need to press tab first to see the useful result
4. No longer able to reprioritise search results, or it auto-reset everything I configured and I cannot find where the settings are now
5. Command + L is removed for no reason, so there is no option to use it as a dictionairy anymore
6. It's overal much slower
7. Transparent overlay of where a file is, utterly useless when looking for a text documet or scriptfile, as it's unreadable
8. Holding command to show file path takes a full second, used to be instant

Am I going crazy? I'm considering downgrading the entire OS because I use spotlight 20-50 times a day, and this is just a horrible, horrible, horrible experience so far. Borderline unusable. New look is okay, new control centre indifferent, new widgets are awesome, some programs feel snappier, new sounds are nice. But this spotlight thing is driving me nuts.

[UPDATE]
After a Time Machine backup and my third reboot, it was at the very least able to find files normally and it's faster now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.